1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

low dialogue audio

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by imblotto, Nov 23, 2004.

1. imblotto

imblotto Member

I have an xvid file with ac3 audio. I play the file in my various players and all have the same result. The audio seems to be very low only for dialogue, but the songs and other noise in the backround are fine. Is there anything I can do to the file to change this?

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Depends if your AC3 is 2.0 or 5.1
    It is probably 2.0
    But yours is a common complaint.
    I assume you are using AC3Filter...
    Go into options, and on the main page (bottom-left) there are presets. Select 'loud'. Save.
    This will gain the overall volume way up, and claims to normalize the dialogue.
    This problem is biggest with action/adventure movies, lotsa gunshots/explosions/sirens etc.
    The 120dB+ digital dynamic range is appropriate only for movie theatre (or gymnasium-sized basement) and compression should be applied to the audio, for use in AVI.
    I make DivX AVIs with MP3 audio normalized to 100% and heavy compression applied to action/adventure movies. I mix the LFE (subwoofer) in @ -3dB and the centre (dialogue) @ +3dB :)
    But using the AC3 audio, you are locked in to their mix.
    You can either convert the AC3 to an adjusted MP3, or attempt to adjust the AC3 audio playback (as described).
    Perhaps some additional audio compression could be applied during playback?
    I know the newer Windows Media Players will offer to do this, and it is not evil, it's a good thing...
    Regards