1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low memory+Win. Xp Pro

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ATIROCKS, Dec 30, 2005.

1. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Hey guys,
    i've been having this problem for a while now and i'm clueless as to how it should be fixed. First, the problem is everytime i try to open windows media player i get this " Can't perform operation, low memory" and when a start-up app try's to load it says ".blah blah blah..not enough privelages.blah blah.". This is soo weird, just last week, my comp. was working brilliantly, now it's collecting dust! I read about some related problems and it was suggested to modify the registry and i just wanted to know whether or not this was the best solution for the job, without having to format or reinstall windows.
    Any replies would be greatly appreciated! and have a safe and happy holiday & New Years! Cheers!!

p.s: I also tryed to use system restore, but i can't open it " System restore is not able to protect your computer..please restart your computer.." and Backup utilities don't work either! Plz Help!!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

have you tried some anti spyware software? sounds like the symptons of an infection to me

3. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

You know what's funny? I have an anti spyware app running @ all times on the pc, it's called Spyware Doctor. Now, everytime the pc loads, it won't load that app saying i have limited privileges or something like that. In fact, it practically says that for all apps, and ontop of that, i cannot install any programs or uninstall anything. Flop. Thanks for the reply, i appreciate the help!

4. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Now, i'm thinking i should just reinstall windows or even just give me hdd a complete wipe and start afresh. Any suggestions?

5. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

stop right there...

i have had the exact same problem today as it happens with system restore saying its unable to protect the computer and it is a spyware infection. do a system restore from safemode and it should solve your problem. it did for me

6. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

ah, but that's where the problem gets worse, i've tried everything possible from safe mode, in fact, safe mode was the first solution i tried...no success....maybe i should go for the reinstall of windows..or even format the drive...:/

7. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

in that case id go for a fresh install. you dont need to format the drive as all problems will be wiped out by a new installation

8. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Yea, i figured a fresh install would...crap, oh well, i guess i should take better care of my pc :p, especially if it has all the games on it! well, thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it all!

9. DVDBURNUP

DVDBURNUP Guest

spyware doctor is a really good program , i use it also. More than likely the low resources could also be a virus. What I would do is with yoir pc in a steady state ( nothing running...or YOU are not running anything ) do ctrl + alt + delet. this will open the task mngr... click on task mnger then performance. cpu usage should be zero or near that level. the graph below is just your page file size.
    sometimes you can click on the process tab and end processes till you find what is hogging the ram, might even be a broken program

10. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Yea, spyware is awesome, though, i won't open :/. I tried that solution and opened task manager, i found some apps that were hogging the ram and i closed them. But still no luck, i also read about looking at the registry and by actually reading what programs are listed when the computer boots you can that special app that just doesn't fit and you can delete it. Apparently, that's the only solution i haven't tried, but, this stupid problem is preventing me from doing such a thing. Big time flop. Now, i guess i have to reinstall windows...oh well...Thanks for the help though, appreciate it!