1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low volume on Divx playback

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by deckertoo, Feb 19, 2006.

1. deckertoo

deckertoo Member

When playing all Divx movies I have noticed the volume is very low. When playing the Divx movie through my Pioneer receiver I can adjust the volume to the desired setting to compensate for the low volume on the burned Divx-DVD. But when played on my laptop the volume is quite low even when I have the volume control set at high. Is this a characteristic of a Divx movie because of the compression ratio? Is there any way that I can increase the volume on the original burned Divx-DVD?

2. philraz

philraz Regular member

try ac3filter it allows you to adjust the volume properties of supported players

3. deckertoo

deckertoo Member

Thanks for your reply Philraz.

But I am a bit confused. I looked at the AC3 filter and I don't know where to begin to make changes to the volume. Will this only correct the volume problem on playback? Because I want to try to fix the volume on the burn so I get more volume when I burn not just on playback.

Thanks for your time

4. fishbits

fishbits Member

Hi Deckertoo:

I am also having the same problem with Divx playback. The volume is always very low - and is barely audible. I too adjust it by playing the audio via an amplifier. However, sometimes the playback is still too low for this option to work properly.

I also tried the solution offered by philraz but to no effect. I also read a thread somewhere stating the settings of WinDVD can be changed to enable your "Hardware Decode Acceleration" (nb: go into WinDVD Settings and select the Video tab) - however this setting is greyed out on my machine (not sure why)???

So if you have come across any solution at all to increase the volume for Divx playback - I am "all ears" (literally!) :)

cheers!

5. fishbits

fishbits Member

Hi again Deckertoo:

I played around with AC3Filter settings and it worked fine!! I simply increased the settings to +20dB in all instances - enabling DRC on the initial screen - and increasing all output and input gains also to +20dB.

It may not be necessary to increase all inputs and outputs - however as a first pass this will increase your volume dramatically. From there you can adjust individual settings for voice / background / other audio features...

Hope this helps

cheers!