1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low Write Speed on 8x burner with 16x media

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by CraneTr, Jun 20, 2009.

1. CraneTr

CraneTr Member

Hi there, let's start with specifications:

Okay, now for the problem: there is a bottleneck somewhere that's making me burn at 4x... My best guess is that ashampoo is making me burn at 4x because it doesn't know the brand of media. (Would it do that?) If that's what it is, can i override it?

Log sample:
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. CraneTr

CraneTr Member

Anyone?

3. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Firmware in the burner doesn't recognize the media?
    (firmware update available, perhaps)

DMA off on the burner?

What happens when you use another burning program (IMGBurn for example).

4. CraneTr

CraneTr Member

Okay I checked the driver update pages:
    the optiarc official site doesn't even list my drive and anyways they don't have downloads there.

The european site has drivers --but not my drive and they recommend that I go with the OEM drivers.
    http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/supportservice/downloads.html

The manufacturer's site has my computer but no optical drive drivers - most of their drivers seemed to be OLDER than the equivalent drivers that I already have.
    http://support.gateway.com/support/...wse&platform=10022&model=12239&os=11271&type=

After some more digging it seems like Optiarc is a combined effort between Sony and NEC. Nec is supposedly infamous for low write speeds and the suggestion is to use alternative firmware:
    That said, I'll probably just suffer through the slow burn times for now and next time buy a brand of media with a bigger market share so the stupid burner burns at the right speed. I posted what I found incase other people need it.