1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowest (highest?) viewable compression?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jdcope, Apr 18, 2005.

1. jdcope

jdcope Member

I am trying to use DVDShrink to make a backup of a movie that is a bit over 2 hrs long. Shrink says the best compression I can do is 56%. Is that a bit tooooo much? Just wondering what the lowest is I should go to keep it watchable? Without compression the movie alone is about 7.5GB.
    So far I have made backups at 88% or higher, and they look great.

Thanks
    Jon

2. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

should be fine ive done at even lower than that

3. Arkion

Arkion Member

As long as you do the deep analyse feature you should be fine. When I backed up Star Wars trilogy and Farscape movie the compression was around 52-55% and I saw no difference in quality compaired to others where I had 100%. I ran no other programs and used Fugi Film media at 3x record speed.

4. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

For most movies the visual quality of the copy is generally better than the "artistic quality" of the movie.

5. forkndave

forkndave Member

I've done quite a few at 55% or so and they looked good. I find that if I go below 50% I start seeing the quality start to degrade. I backed up a disc recently that I didn't realise that it had both wide and full screen on it. It went down to 45% or so and looked pretty poor. I redid it using a disc for widescreen and one for full screen and didn't need any compression at all. If I have to go below 90% I will use deep analysis and one of the AEC settings (unless it's a cartoon). It really makes a difference.

6. jdcope

jdcope Member

Sounds good. Thanks for the help!
    Jon