1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LPCM vs DTS 5:1

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by bartbutt, Nov 10, 2009.

1. bartbutt

bartbutt Member

I watch lots of BR films. I also am a big fan of DTS 5:1. When I insert an original BR film and press play it always selects LPCM and the window shows 3 front speakers & sub in use. On the case it says DTS HD/DTSTrueHD and in the film set up I can select DTS 5:1 but still it wants only LPCM. Lossless it may be but when it comes to Die Hard 4 for example, I prefer to have DTS 5:1 and here it coming from behnd me too, not just the front, seems a bit of a ripoff to me. Now when I encode the film with BDRB AC3 5:1 I have. This appears to be my only way to get DTS 5:1 on Die Hard 4 in BR quality picture. Are we saying that if I had the extra 2 rear speakers and thus 7:1 I will get DTS HD in 7:1 lossless or will it still show as LPCM but will come out all 7 and the sub.
    I have a Sony STR-DB2400ES and Sony Pascal 835ED Satelite speakers and Sony Active 200w Sub.Sony BDR 550 Player connected by HDMI lead
    Am I barking up the wrong tree?

2. vlad420

vlad420 Member

hey what's up Im 29 and im a big home theater freak LOL. and I was used google to get here. I got some dts audio to play on my jvc 5.1 receiver and the output was lpcm. All the speakers worked but it didn't play in dts. I used foobar2000 to play it. It seemed like it was a different was of playing dts file? the sound seemed like high quality but it didn't say DTS. My mkv files play DTS perfect. I just cant get off the linearPCM sound. I really would like DTS. I tried vlc1.0.3 and to hear the sound I had to switch it from spdif to 5.1 and automatically my sound switched to lpcm. That sucks. LinearPCM don't sound that bad but I want DTS. Please help!!!