1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lsass.exe connecting to the internet?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by sbga01, Feb 1, 2008.

1. sbga01

sbga01 Member

for some reason lsass.exe is connecting to the internet. I did a whois and it was something in Beijing... should I be worried

2. silk42

silk42 Regular member

How do you know that lsass.exe is connecting to the Internet?

As for lsass, it's a normal file that's part of Windows. You should be able to see what's being run on your computer by typing the following at a command prompt.
    netstat -a

There was a sasser worm that hit Windows several years ago, but if you've kept your Windows updated, you shouldn't have a problem. Also, once infected, your computer continuously shuts down until you run the removal tool.

3. sbga01

sbga01 Member

i dont think its the sasser worm. I know because my firewall alerted me that it was trying to connect... could there be something wrong with my "version" of xp?

4. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I'm not aware of any recent updates for that particular file. I just checked the version on my computer (c:\windows\system32\lsass.exe) and it's version 5.1.2600.2180. It appears to be the one that was included with SP2. I assume that you're running Windows XP SP2?

5. sbga01

sbga01 Member

yeah I have SP2. I checked my version of lsass and it was the same. I wonder why it would try to connect to the internet

6. Fero

Fero Member

Ya i used to remove lsass.exe, man it sure took me along time to figure it out the remove the file. how every lsass.exe is part of windows. but i have formated my computer twice to get rig of the program. but i start to think how does it get on after reinstall windows with my computer disconnect from the internet

dont lose any sleep over it, cuz i did it for you all ready haha

peace