1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m2v to DVD

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by -mm-, May 31, 2005.

1. -mm-

-mm- Member

I have an issue that I posted on another forum, and they didnt seem to understand what I was referring to. I will attempt it here... since you all seem to be much more up on things than they are :D

Anyway here it is.... I have a concert that contains 9 songs, which are all in the format m2v. That is their extension. I can use a number of different players to view them, such as VideoLan and I think even WMP works as well.

Now... they are all in m2v as I said before, but, from what I understand m2v is an extension that is supposed to be only video. Well, these files contain both the audio and video, and they look great as they are... but I want to burn them onto DVDR. I have had a buddy use Dr. Divx to convert them to avi...which works fine, although the video is compromised and makes it "unbearable" to watch.

I dont want to compress them if at all possible. I am just hoping there is another way to do this other than compressing.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well if it has audio then it isn't really an m2v file. Probably it is an mpg and if it is DVD compliant then you can just author it as is... no need to convert.

3. -mm-

-mm- Member

These files may be mpgs, although, there is an interview video of the same concert before it... which is also a separate file, and this is is definitely an mpg. It is poorer quality than the "m2vs" and when I tried to combine any one of these "m2vs" with the interview mpg it wouldnt work.

I suppose I can do the combining process later... but I still need to burn these files onto DVDR... so how would I do so?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes you can probably just Load the M2V file into a DVD authoring program Like DVDLab and add your Menu"s and Chapters and Burn it to DVD...

You might want to rename the ".m2v" extention to ".mpg" just so you don"t confuse the Authoring Software....

If your Mpeg-2 file is Not DVD Compliant You will probably have to re-encode the File so that it is DVD Compliant but if the File is say a SVCD file you can still Put it on DVD without re-encodeing as Long as you use DVDLab as it is the only DVD authoring program that supports authoring SVCD files to DVD without re-encodeing them....

Cheers

5. -mm-

-mm- Member

Hey Minion...

I thought I had tried to encode/and/or author with something. I am not sure if it was DVDLab... I need to get that app. again anyhow.

So many appz to deal with for these damned videos :D

Anyhow... someone did recommend to encode to avi then create the vobs... but when it got compressed it looked like shite. So, I decide that is definitely not the way to go.

I need to find an alternative.

As mentioned earlier... I hope I mentioned this earlier... the "m2vs" not only have the video portion.. but the audio as well. So, they are virtually mpg without the extension per se. I think someone really screwed up when they did this.

Nevertheless, I know its possible to do this... so Minion my friend... I will get the DVDLab app. and get back with you to hopefully be able to guide me through this. I have tried with a few apps to author, and I am not sure if I am doing it correctly.

I do suppose I want the menus for this concert and these songs. It would be nice to have it all laid out properly when the DVD is loaded into a standalone.

Anyhow... I will get back with you.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers!!

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

You should First find out what the Resolution of your M2V file is because if it doesn"t conform to DVD specifications then you "Will" Have to re-encode it but I can Probably help you with it if you have to re-encode...

Cheers

7. -mm-

-mm- Member

If I load the file/s into DVDLab, will that show the resolution or is there another way?

Another thing I was thinking about doing was this... getting a stand-alone DVD burner, and going through an S-Video cable and doing a direct-out record to that machine.

I would however like to try doing this through the software first if possible.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes DVDLab will Display the Resolution if you Load the M2V file into it...If the File isn"t DVD Compliant DVD Lab will tell you....

9. -mm-

-mm- Member

I've got DVDLab Pro... but when I try to open the files, it only gives me the option of selecting "DVD Project '.dal' " as the file type.

Maybe I am doing something incorrectly.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  10. Minion

Minion Senior member

When you Have set up your projects Menu"s and Chapters and all the Links are Going to the Correct places you go to "Project" to "Compile DVD" and then you will have the Option to Output your Project as a Video_TS folder and Burn it to DVD....

11. -mm-

-mm- Member

Hi Minion...

Maybe I wasnt clear enough :) I have no idea how to use the app. or really author at all. I have done some work with DVD Shrink, but other than that I have no idea on how to use most of the DVD appz.

If you have a minute, maybe you can give me more instructions on what you mean. Most of this:

"When you Have set up your projects Menu"s and Chapters and all the Links are Going to the Correct places you go to "Project" to "Compile DVD" and then you will have the Option to Output your Project as a Video_TS folder and Burn it to DVD...."

is foreign to me. Although, I have burned a number of dvds successfully, but just dont know the ins and outs of authoring, reauthoring, menus, titles, etc. I would need some help on most of that stuff... as I said I really am noobish on this :)

Thanks much.

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you a Basic Guide on how to use DVDLab to author a Basic One Menu DVD with Chapters...

The Guide is in PDF format so you will need to have Adobe Acrobat reader Installed (Freeware)....

Cheers

13. -mm-

-mm- Member

I did send you a pm Minion... but I dont know if you received it. Lemme know. Thanks.

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

I sent it....

Cheers

15. -mm-

-mm- Member

If anyone is interested, I got this problem worked out. I used an app. called "ULEAD DVD Movie Factory 2". It worked just fine. There is a pause towards the end of each video, but it worked with these hard to work with files.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.