1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M3 card reader corruption

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by brucedlx, Jan 3, 2008.

1. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

Hey AD.

A relatively new user to DS-Scene but not the scene in general, sorry if this is a bit misplaced but here goes.

I bought a used DS w/ M3 DS Simply card. It included a 1gb card and the reader that came w/ the M3 simply. Needless to say the reader was a piece of chinese-manufactured crap. It wouldn't work unless you put downward pressure on it (don't ask me) but when you did it would start recognizing the card. Ofcourse, if you let go of the pressure or push too hard, it would stop reading.

Now, I know this was just memory card corruption waiting to happen. It even failed mid-file transfer a few times w/o breaking the card but still I tried desperately to keep one hand steady on the USB-reader while clicking and copying files with the other.

Needless to say, the card got corrupted after the 5th or 6th time that my hand got a bit shakey in the middle of file transferring.

I know you're thinking, "Why not get a proper card reader they're cheap" or "why not wait or call your seller". Well, I was about to go on a 4 hr trainride and I couldn't bear the thought of just twiddling my thumbs so now I am in trouble.

Since then, I've bought a new card and card reader and everything works aok, but I want to know if there is any way to save the SD card? I try formatting it but it says there is only ~370MB available? It's a 1GB card so I know that's wrong, and ofcourse formatting it fails whether it be through DOS or windows. Any tips?

Thanks sorry for the overly long post.

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Try formatting the card with the HP USB format tool (google should find it), this has rescued me quite a few times when a drive has gone bad.