1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M3 DS Real and original DS

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by jcturner, Jan 3, 2008.

1. jcturner

jcturner Member

Hi all,

I am looking at getting the M3 DS Real with GBA + Rumble expansion packs. However it looks like the expansion packs may not fit my original DS, only the DS Lite?

Can anyone please confirm?

Also a recommendation for an alternative would be great. I mainly want to run homebrew and check out DS Linux etc, so need slot-2 device that can play GBA and has 32Mb RAM. I also like slot 1 device with (micro) sd card.

Cheers

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

The M3 Real expansion packs are only for the DS Lite.

The Real can access the RAM in the M3 Perfect cards for GBA support though, so if you get an M3 Perfect MiniSD for Slot-2 it should work. (Not sure if DS Linux can access the RAM of the M3 Perfect range though so you might want to check that)

Another slot-2 card is the EZFlash 3-1, however it is very hard to find the 'phat' version for the original DS - it seems everywhere only stocks the Lite version.

3. jcturner

jcturner Member

Thanks Mr Hanky, I have been reading some of your threads. The thing is getting both M3DS Real + M3 Perfect is a bit more expensive (the RAM does work according to dslinux wiki).

Would a better way to do it be a Passcard 3 + M3 Perfect/Supercard?
    Or does that have less options for playing media files/games etc?

4. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

A Passcard 3 + Slot-2 card should work, but you would need to patch your DS games for them to work. I wouldn't recommend the Supercard for GBA games (Supercards are known for slowdowns and glitches in GBA)

You will probably miss out on some of the common features found in slot-1 cards such as Action Replay cheat support and Download Play support. But as you stated your mainly looking for homebrew that shouldn't be too big a problem.

You might want to check to see if the slot-2 cards your looking into support DLDI auto-patching (think the Supercards might, pretty sure the M3 Perfects don't), without auto-DLDI you would need to patch most homebrew before copying it onto your card.

I haven't used my M3 Perfect for a long tie now so am a bit rusty on slot-2 support etc. :p