1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***M3 DS Real Guide*** WIP

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by mr_hanky, Nov 10, 2007.

1. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

The M3 Real itself does not have a GBA mode, however it can boot GBA files into GBA mode from the GBA menu of the M3. This includes anything that it can emulate (e.g NES roms) so just stick all your GBA and NES files in the GBA folder and you should be able to load them from the GBA menu. (Providing you have your M3 Perfect inserted)

I do not do much emulation on my DS so do not know how good or bad the built-in emulators are.

2. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

from what i understand snesds and nesds are basically ports of their gba forms (pocketnes/snes i think). and the real uses the gba ones, anyone interested on emulation on their real should check tyhem out; because of the hardware upgrade from gba to ds, the ds emulators tend to have better compatabillity. snesds is still a work in progress and i have been told that snezzids has a larger compatabillity than it. however i havent been able to get snezzids to work with my real ( it is not currently dldi...), will checkout snezziboy (gba version of snezzids) over the next few dys and report back. merry christmass all!! :)

3. falcon209

falcon209 Regular member

FYI... the ROM is 1024 megabit (Mbit), not 1024 megabyte (Mb). We all know that there are 8 bits in 1 byte, therefore 1024Mbit = 128Mb

4. Dachno

Dachno Member

@falcon209: Correct; Thank you for clearing this up.

I have tried and been unable to run roms that were trimmed via the M3 Lite software... BUT there is no need for me to trim roms as I have a 6GB microsdhc.

Merry X-mas all! :)

5. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

the m3 real does in fact run trimmed roms, however, like all carts the rom must be patched/trimmed by (and only by) the patcher/trimmer designed for said cart. so its good to keep clean dumps on hand.

you can find the trimmer for the real on m3's download section. considering the size and amount of ds games out, it would not suprise me if you would be able to fill a 6gb card. so keep it in mind

reporting back on the emu front: For nes games i will be sticking with nesDS, it has incredible compatabillity and low glitches. for snes i will be using SNEmulDS it has a good compatabillity- i can play chrono trigger with minimal graphical glitches after some manual tweaking :). and for gb/gbc for now i am using lameboy, it has a good compatabillity list but im not sure if it has sound or not as i have only tested it with a few games. and for SPC (snes soundchips/soundtracks) there's PocketSPC, havent gotten it to work with the real but it will work with the m3 perfect (slot-2 cart).

cheers to all you emu-maniacs, will report back with any more updates!

6. chrmen

chrmen Member

This has been a great resource tool for me getting the M3 real, I have already put games and haven’t fiddle much with opera but so far so good except Mario party & Simpson game seems to freeze up at times, can this be the ROMs itself or the 2gb scandisk that I have, I did format it with fat32 and seems to be running fine with other less visual graphic games (just got it yesterday so don’t hold me to this) does anybody else have this issue. I am going to get another card but I was wondering if anybody can give me info on the R4, but it sounds like all of you are OK with M3 Real? TIA

7. chrmen

chrmen Member

I also wanted to add that before I used the M3 I had a Max Media dock in which I had to place the download NDS file on slot 2 card then run a patch app to create a .pat file to get it to work. This worked with old game but not with new, hence me getting this M3. I was wondering the new downloaded NDS files I just put them in on the microSD and it seems to work, is this what all you guys do, is there no patching or trimming just curious maybe I am doing something wrong and perhaps thats why those games freeze.

8. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

how do you convert movies and other video files into DSM format? I have GBalpha NDSmovieconverter but I can't seem to make a music video which is .mpg into a DSM format. What file formats are supported by the GBalpha movie converter?

I have the latest version 2.8 of M3 DS Real.

9. paigey

paigey Member

Hi kids!

I got a DSlite for xmas and the M3 DS Real as well.. I've followed this guide and others but still can't even get the DS to recognise that there is anything in slot 1...

Anybody got any ideas or know why this might be??

Thanks =)

10. chrmen

chrmen Member

That is pretty wierd but I have 2 in the house and orginally the red cover ds lite worked but at times it would freeze now it doesnt even reconize the card, I have no problem with orginal games or the max media dock on this unit which is strange. My other kid has a pink ds lite and the card works fine with no issues. I will probalbly return my red cover one for a new all black but i wonder what might be the problem, they should all be the same unit, I brought the red cover one 3 months ago and gave my daughter the pink one for x-mas, strange??

11. sdhealy

sdhealy Member

I have the same problem as paigey. My kids have 2 DS Lite's. The M3 Real works perfectly on the new one, but not the older one. The wierd thing is that it worked on the older one a couple of weeks ago and now it doesn't even recognise it's plugged in. Tried all the obvious - cleaning the connections on both the DS and the Real card, reformatting the MS Real in FAT and FAT32, tried different micro SD cards, but still the same result. Any further suggestions are most welcome as my kids are now fighting over the working one. :-(

12. paigey

paigey Member

Yep. I tried FAT and FAT32 and a couple other things and had no result... I have a blue DS (which i had to bloody fight for at JB-HI) And still nothing is working... I'm prepared to punch it in the guts...

13. paigey

paigey Member

Oh but i bought Spyro - Shadow Legacy yesty and it worked fine.... Hmmm...

HELP ME, PEOPLE!
    please =)

14. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Try cleaning the contacts on the M3 and trying again, if it is not recognised at all (the DS just stays at "There is no DS Card Inserted") then it could be that you have a faulty M3 in which case I would return it to where it was purchased and get a replacement.

As for hrmen and sdhealy I have no idea what could be causing your problem, unfortunately unless I can replicate the problem I cannot find a way to solve it.

15. falcon209

falcon209 Regular member

Just a silly question, but have you downloaded and copied the system files onto your SD card in a folder named "SYSTEM" and put your ROMs in a folder named "NDS"??? (Not sure if the ROMz need a special folder, but that's where I put them)

Grab those system files here (includes the M3 ROM trimmer):
    http://tinyurl.com/2vulw9

(VIRUS FREE -- UPLOADED BY ME PERSONALLY)

16. sdhealy

sdhealy Member

Yep, did all that with the same result. Also tried wedging in a piece of cardboard in Slot 1 of the DS Lite to try to squeeze the M3 Real (to see if something is loose inside) and push the connections closer together between the DS and the M3 Real - still the same result. Looking on other forums this seems to be a common problem for the M3 Real. My brother-in-law has a M3 Simply so I'm going to try that to see if it works on the DS Lite in question, but that won't be until after the 14th. If there are no other suggestions until then I'll let you all know how I get on.

17. KingJude

KingJude Member

mr. hanky i would like to know which one do u think is better and easier to use... m3 ds real? simply? or r4???

18. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

I would like to know how to make movies for the DS with the M3 DS Real and what file formats are supported I have used GBAlphas software but it won't work on a music video I am trying it out on.

19. k750man

k750man Member

Hi guys,
    I'm new to all this. I've a NDS lite and a 'M3Real- Perfect Bundle' on order from AddictSupplies.com I'm looking forward to playing lots of new games, but I have a newbie question for you guys (so be kind!). I've read all the posts thus far and only noticed one member mention Usenet as a source for their NDS ROMS. I've googled 'Nintendo DS ROMS' and there are lots of sites. Where do you guys recommend as the best source for ROMS (I'll be using them for research purposes only - of course!). I don't want to download any ROMS that'll break my NDS lite (corrupt/viruses or any other problems).
    Thanks for all your help thus far and thanks to 'Mr Hanky' for the tutorial which will hopefully get me started in no time at all.
    :)

20. mikeyp

mikeyp Member

Any ideas how you get the rumble pack working for the M3. Mine doesnt seem to rumble on any games I have tried. Wondered if I am doing something wrong or if it is faulty.