1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***M3 DS Simply Guide***

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by mr_hanky, Jan 13, 2007.

1. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

you can play NDS ROMs, and with the use of emulators play NES, GB, GBC and a couple of SNES games, I think you can also play ScummVM and a couple of other older systems.

You CANNOT play GBA games.

#2 The older devices that used the GBA port needed a Pass device to work in DS mode, installing a firmware replacement known as FlashMe removed the need to keep the Pass device. The process of installing FlashMe is known as flashing, hence the term 'flashed DS'

#3 Yes, I do so quite often. With the older devices that went in the GBA slot, you also needed a game/Pass device in the top slot, or the DS would not go into sleep mode, but as the DS Simply is a slot-1 device this problem does not exist.

Also, just out of curiosity is your name 'kibawolf' anything to do with Wolf's Rain?

2. shmicko

shmicko Member

Mr Hanky,
    Haven't had chance to check the hardware yet... friend took the 'newer' one and won't be back for 2 weeks... will keep u posted on the progress.
    Can you recommend some emulators to try with the ds simply? btw - thanks a lot for the information so far, your a big help to many.

3. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

I'm not really an emulation user on the DS, i have a couple of PSPs for that. But I have heard nesDS mentioned alot, also there's a ScummVM emulator thats meant to be good.

4. dsnewb

dsnewb Member

Hi guys

I got my DS and M3 DS SIMPLY the other day, (i got 2 sets of each for the kids) DS £99, M3 £29, 1GB Micro SD card £8, great value.

I have to say, I was impressed with how easy everything was to install

Although, I do have a few problems that I hope someone could help me out with…..

Games.

I put several games onto the M3 and they worked fine, then my lad wanted some new games putting onto the M3 so I did this only to find the DS now hangs up?
    If I format the microSD card and start again (including the new games he wanted) everything works fine?
    I did notice that the M3 puts an extra _DS_MENU_ file onto the cart……does this have anything to do with the hang up after loading extra games, or, is it just the nature of the beast?

Also, how do I get to use the download between the 2 DS? (both have the M3 inserted) I can send the game data from one of the DS but there is no way of accepting the download on the other DS when using the M3? If I take out the M3 (on the receiving DS) I can accept the download, but it wont go past the Nintendo screen?

MP3 and Pictures

These work flawlessly using the moonshell

Movies

When I used the converter that came with moonshell I could only convert certain movie clips….each time I tried to convert xVID format it went belly up?
    Reading the forums I found that it’s better to use batchDPG – so I downloaded all the necessary software and started to convert my xVIDs. This worked a treat; I now have loads of movies on my hard drive waiting to be dumped onto the M3 card and this is where my problems begin……. When I load the movies to the M3 card, some of the movies work and some just hang up?
    Could this be the settings used?
    Is there a certain size required for the movies to play? – The settings for batchDPG are 256x144 as default?

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW the Moonshell is a nice little player, I like the fast forward and rewind functions using the control pad. Neat!

5. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

This is both "the nature of the beast" and the reason why it keeps hanging, i'm guessing you have completely filled the card with games etc., but the Simply needs some operating space left on the card (about 4-8MB should do) This is for the _DS_MENU_ file. Ifthere is not enough space the Simply will hang when trying to create it.

This obviously means your using dowload play (only one game required) so yes you hav to tke the M3 out to alow the recieving DS to use download play (you can can plug the M3 back in afterwards, it just won't be noticed) the reason why the game hangs at the Nintendo screen is because the RSA signiture is missing from he game being sent to the DS, this can be caused by trimming the ROM, and by having soft-reset enabled on te DS. To get the game to work, do not tri the ROM, instaed put a clean dump on the card, and to disable soft-reset make sure the 'R' at the top right of the M3 menu is red, you can change it by preesing the R trigger on touching it on the screen.

Try reducing the FPS of the videos, or if that fails try reducing the bitrate, you shouldn't need to change the screen size (256x144).

6. dsnewb

dsnewb Member

thanks for that lot mr hanky, i will try it later when i get home, i will repost my findings later tonight.

7. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Just got my new M3 batch, and I can confirm the M3<->R4 solder point has been removed:
    [​IMG]

It does appear as though the language solder point is still there, but my soldering tools are at my house so I cannot remove the solder to test this.

EDIT:
    Here's a picture showing the new packaging compared to the old, and another showing the contents of the new batch - note the transflash reader has changed yet again, this reader still has a cheap feel to it, but dosn't feel like it wll fall apart easily.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  8. kibawolf

kibawolf Member

9. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

hmmm...wonder if the R4 still have that bridge prob not...maybe its still changable somehwere

10. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

All M3 DS Simply come with the card reader, dosn't matte if you buy memory with them or not. I've bought 21 M3's so far and all have come with the card readers, I have not bought memory with any of them.

As for memory to buy, faster cards will always perform better, check this list and choose any card with a good score on the Castlevania test (5/5).
    Also, though it's not on the list, I have a 256MB Toshiba card from my phone which I would also score 5/5

Generally most cards should work with the M3 with no problems, just get good quality cards and not cheap ones and you'll be fine

11. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Chances are the don't, or if they do, won't for much longer, but I am curious how they choose R4 or M3 now, so maybe there is another point somewhere now.

EDIT:
    v1.02 Final firmware has been released, nothing much seems changed for those using v1.02 Beta, but it's still worth updating anyway.

Changelog

· Hiding the display of those files and directories with "Hiding" attributes.
    · Using the L button is the same as touching the screen to adjust the brightness.
    · Narrowing the display for transditional Chinese characters.
    · Background light will now turn off while closing DS in save mode.
    · Soft reset included (L+R+A+B+X+Y) or touch the soft reset button with R to switch on/off this function.
    · Decreasing possibility to experience the triforce boot screen and noise caused by using soft reset.
    · Improving the technique to issue of freezing menu while using soft reset.
    · Adds feature of large text size in eBook.
    · eBook is also skinnable (create bckgrd_1.bmp & bckgrd_2.bmp in folder /_SYSTEM_/EBOOK)

Due to the nonsynchronous of the audio and video, Moonshell temporarily does not support soft reset, but we will update with a new edition supporting it as soon as possible.

Normally this warrents a new post, but as i've posted twice in a row I thought i'll just stick it on the end of this post :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  12. pakixd

pakixd Regular member

R4 was (obviously) first to remove the bridge, afterwards M3 removed it. The boards are still identical and software is still the same. I'm sure theres still a way to convert its just a matter of time before someone finds out :)

13. shmicko

shmicko Member

back to the emulators (if anyone can help)...

I'm trying ScummVM (i think thats what its called), and I cannot get it to work within my M3 cart, it is looking for a flash reading...anyone know if there is a slot 1 version around?

Also, i was curious as to whether anyone has ported or seen any of the SCI Sierra titles available on DS. This seems to be the ideal environment for some of those games... eg Space Quest 3/4/5 Police Quest 3 etc...

Thanks to all...

14. shmicko

shmicko Member

found the answer to this part of my last question... here is the link to a fixed emulator for the m3 simply... you should be able to play monkey island 1/2, sam and max, indy and fate of atlantis, day of the tentacle etc on ur DS with this emulator
    http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummvmds0-9-1a-beta2.zip

anything info about the sierra part of my question would be great!

15. kibawolf

kibawolf Member

so both kingstons work 5/5 on the test cauz the non jap one has no raiting and are you selling the m3's or ? y have so many?

16. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Dunno about the kingston with no rating, but it does say it works, and the other i a 5/5 so my assumption would be it is also a 5/5

And yes I do sell them, hence why I have so many.

17. kibawolf

kibawolf Member

how much do you sell them and what are your shiping rates?

18. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

£32.99 + £3.99 Postage, I only ship to the UK.

19. dsnewb

dsnewb Member

sorry for the late reply, could not prise the DS out of my kids hands.

ok, i sorted out the games problem, dont fill the cart with games :)

Films, I reduced the fps to 18 (from AUTO) and now they all work fine using batchDPG, converted all kinds of format to .dpg and they worked a treat.

Download play.....im still having problems with this one. i tried both situations with the soft reset, and also with un-trimmed roms but i still cant perform download play from the M3 DS Simply....it goes further than before but still hangs...it goes through all the option screens for download play, but when it gets to the screen 'downloading' it just stays there? am i still missing something?

20. heyitsmee

heyitsmee Member

hello! i was wondering if you happened to know of a place to still sell the m3dss with a replacement shell or at least one with a black shell. also does the m3dss replace the existing firmware? i hear it autoskips the health warning. is there any other changes like this too and if you put a normal game back in would it be normal again?

tankies!