1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***M3 DS Simply Guide***

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by mr_hanky, Jan 13, 2007.

1. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Don't know of any, you would have to ask if they have any of the old batch, the new batch don't come with the white shell.

All M3 DS Simply come with the black/grey shell by default.

No, the DS firmware is not touched by the M3 (unless you change brightness, but that only changes the brightness, nothing else)

You still see the health warning, but instead of touching the screen to continue it will auto-boot the M3 straight after. Or if you have FlashMe installed on your DS as I do, it boots sraight into the M3.

As soon as you remove the M3 from the DS the console is 'back to normal' not that anything special was done in he first place.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  2. defdave

defdave Guest

Hey guys. Thanks for all your help here at the forum. Thanks to your advice, I purchased a DS Simply a week ago and it came in the mail today. It's great. I've been playing with it all day. :)

Here's my question, though. How do I get a NES emulator to work on this thing? I tried NesDS and Nester, but I can't seem to figure out how to get them to work correctly. Has there been a guide made yet for NES emulation on the Simply?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

3. Kiwiclx

Kiwiclx Member

1) Download nesDS and unpack
    2) Download ndstool; place in nesDS directory
    2) Run make_nds.bat
    3) Add *.NES ROM files
    4) Save file 'nesDS.ds.gba'; 'nesDS.ds' will be generated by ndstool
    5) Copy 'nesDS.ds' to microSD card
    6) Enjoy!

Games cannot be saved due to lack of libfat support. Doesn't stop the good ol' games like Kid Icarus though! >,>

4. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

In the M3/R4 the bridge is removed, but does the english-chinese conversion bridge still there/work?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  5. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

It looks as though the language bridge is still there, but my soldering tools are at my house so I cannot test it untill next Sunday Evening/Monday at the earliest.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  6. czrone

czrone Member

THREE CHEERS FOR MR_HANKY! HIP, HIP,

7. reptilesz

reptilesz Member

Aargh, I got my simply in the mail today and am extremely frustrated after over 3 hours of trying to make it work right. The first annoying thing is the stupid adaptor that came with it doesnt work at all. I cant use that one with my desktop so i have to use the kingston adaptor in my laptop. Anyway...

I have reformatted the microsd (1 gig) card to regular old FAT and copied the contents of the system folder to it several times. When I fire up the DS it gives me the initial Simply screen but when I hit the middle button which should fire up moonshell i get some sort of long winded error. The most i can read before it disappears is something to the effect of error, did the moonshl folder move or something like that. Then I get a list of 3 files at the top and a nice blue design everywhere else. Then if I wait a minute I get a black screen at the bottom and a possible media player brown thing with the time in it in the top screen. Any button i hit and it goes back to the 3 files at the top and nothing at the bottom. I wish i could read the entire error message but i cant.

Trying to get dsorganize to work and colecovision emulator as well and am having major difficulties...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

---
    http://www.reptilecare.com

8. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Ignore the message, it does not effect the operation of Moonshell.

That is basically the equivilent of a screen saver.

What are the three files? Anything that Moonshell can view/play? I having a hard time trying to work out what the actual problem is :S

Dunno about the colecovision emulator, but DSorganise needs a DLDI patch applied to work on the M3DS (and most other new devices)
    Google 'Chism' and 'DLDI' and you'll probably find something of use.

9. reptilesz

reptilesz Member

Thank you for being the voice of reason. I never put any media in there since I saw the error message. i assumed it didnt work. It would appear to work fine. Also after some work DSOrganize also works. Patched just fine. It would seem that this is not for the technophobes out there of which I'm not thank God.

Thank you much again,
    Carole

PS Are there various patches for all the homebrew out there or can I use Chism's patch for all of it? I dont understand what it does. If I did maybe I could answer my own question.
    Thanks again!

10. reptilesz

reptilesz Member

Am pretty sure i can use the patch on anything but "anything" needs to be able to support the patch? colecovision doesnt do that.

Thanks,
    Carole

11. Kiwiclx

Kiwiclx Member

Check out the link in my signature for a list of homebrew games and applications that function on the M3 DS Simply; DLDI support is noted for each entry.

12. imnotrich

imnotrich Member

When will there be a utility to transfer game saves from an original cartridge to the Microflash like using Rein ??

Can anyone help ?

13. kibawolf

kibawolf Member

hi i finally got my m3 simply with a micro sd a data 1gb i cant get the winamp (sylphamp) program to conect to my network. there are several around my house but it wont conect at all.

and when i play portrait of ruin it freezes when i get to the map thing in the ghoast mission #1

i have a normal rom no fancy what nots

14. kibawolf

kibawolf Member

i trimmed the rom and now it freezes on portals sometimes and if i get hit and try to pause at same time or randome pauses

any other ideas on fixing

15. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Portrait of Ruin crashing has been linked to the MicroSD card you use, currently there is no way round it other than buying a different card. Also as far as I know, no-one knows why this happens.

I havn't used sylphamp personally so cannot give nay help on this, i might try it out later. I do know that your DS needs the wireless settings setup through a WFC game (eg MarioKart, Tetris DS) before you can use Wifi in homebrew.

16. MirageK

MirageK Guest

Two simple questions.
    1. Is there anyway to use the Opera Web browser without the memory adapter?

2. How come download play doesn't work with a few games? I haven't trimmed them but my friends still cant download them from me so we could play. Kind of annoying.

17. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

1: No
    2: Try turning soft-reset off, if they still don't work you'll have to wait for a bug-fix from M3/R4.

18. MirageK

MirageK Guest

Thanks. Thought of another question, Can you play SNES and GBA games on this?

And what exactly does boot slot 2 do?

19. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

You cannot play GBA games on it, you might be able to play SNES with a emulator but i'm not sure.

Boot Slot-2 allows you to use the M3 DS as a Passcard to load another homebrew device plugged into the GBA slot (slot-2)

EDIT: I should add that if there is a SNES emulator that works on the M3 DS, the the selection of games that work would be very small, this is the same for all DS carts at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  20. hxcart

hxcart Guest

hey Mr Hanky doing a great job, ive just got my M3 simply and have a few problems that don't seem to be addressed here and was wondering if you could help out.

Games working great running on FAT 32 no problem yet.
    my problem lies with the music these are mp3.....it runs but skips every 2-3 seconds which is just a annoying... I hope you know a fix for this maybe DS organize instead of Moonshell i dunno.

and the other thing was where on earth can I download the patch....by Chism..DLDI all I find on the net is reference to it but no download..ill keep looking though bound to find it eventually. oh and how do I patch....?

Thanks a heap