1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***M3 DS Simply Guide***

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by mr_hanky, Jan 13, 2007.

1. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

The MP3 problem is probably because your MP3s are too high a bit rate, try downsampling them to 128 maybe 190, I'm a bit of an audiophile and came across the same problem, but i also can't stand MP3 any lower than 320kbps, so i'll stick with my ipod/zen and lossless cd-rips.

As for patching, see this page:
    http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/

Download the patching tool (about 2 thirds down the page) your probably best using the 'Win32 GUI' version, also find the DLDI patch from the list of devices 'R4(DS) - Revolution for DS M3 Simply compatible'

Run the patching tool and choose the folder you downloaded the DLDI patch too, then find your DLDI compatible homebrew and add it to the binary list (you can add as much homebrew you want in one go)
    Click patch and wait till it says complete (should only take a few seconds)

2. hxcart

hxcart Guest

cheers ive managed to patched two towers, DSorganize next. yea I want an ipod but cant really afford right now.

3. DSlite

DSlite Guest

4. hxcart

hxcart Guest

You can tell your a nube when you ask a lot of questions.
    I tried getting DSOrganize to work but comes up with "not support adapter" error, and ive put all the files in the root and patched the .nds file but still have this error??

5. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

you can tell your growing from being a newb when you start to understand and use the advice 1337 people(mr_hanky for instance) give you. anyways...
    what version are you using of dso? 2.45? i didn't understand patching until i came across that certain app. your error only occurrs if the adapter is not supported by that specific app(errr yeah... runnin you in circles here) regardless of files placed in the root/wherever. i know you know how to patch because u've already done two towers, and it was explained that you needed r4tf.dldi and how to patch... i think there's a link on the forums here for a pre-patched dso for the simply...

edit: say thanks to the guy if you will. link

edit 2: (r4=m3dss?)yeah, they seem to be equally supported too, for now. m3 always won out over flashcarts because of best support record, but r4 seems to be keeping up, if not a little ahead, in terms of support record. also, there's talks it's the same company; and they do use the same dldi patch... go r4 it!!! (cheesey i know...)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  6. Psyren

Psyren Member

So, for the newbie like myself, who's been having problems getting her R4 to work; does anyone have a step-by-step process to getting the system files to the drive (the locations they should be in) and what should happen to the SD card to make it be recognized by the system?

I just got my SD card yesterday and it is refusing to recognize my card...any help would be wonderful. I've got the DS system and CD files with me, but any help would be wonderful as it seems I'm just not getting it. *and I consider myself to be a techie! for shame.*

7. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

In this case you will have to find elsewhere to download the latest firmware as dualscene dosn't have it, but the instructions should be almost identical for the R4.

The MicroSD card will not be recognised by the R4 until the firmware file is on it. The MicroSD card can formatted to FAT or FAT32, by default your card is most likly FAT.

8. Psyren

Psyren Member

But the R4 can use the software download from here (http://m3adapter.com/Download.htm) instead of the stupid CD that comes with it?

And what kind of formatting would you recommend...if I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing? Sorry...normally I'm great with computers and the like but trying to get the files in the right places and working with this R4 thing is going to kill me, I sware it.

9. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

No, for the R4 you need the R4 files available here:
    http://www.r4ds.com/download-en.htm

To format the MicroSD right click on the removeable disk icon that appears when it's connected to your computer and choose Format, where it says Filesystem choose FAT, leave everything else as it is and choose OK. Note that formatting will delete everything off your card so make backups if you need to first.

For basic useage of the R4 just copy the file _DS_MENU.NDS to the top directory of your SD card (eg F:\ )

10. Psyren

Psyren Member

Do you need to create separate folders for the specific files (aka games, etc) and...exactly what should be in the root of the SD drive, exactly? Maybe that's my problem.

11. DSlite

DSlite Guest

From what I read the R4 is like the beta for the M3 Simply and it uses the newest firmware so it may be a little more buggy than the m3.

I ordered 3 R4 since they used to be www.Fifthunit.com and apparently had a decent rep. Now for 3 micro cards from newegg etc. I already bought 2 m3 simplys (1 for me) and these will also be gifts for my other friends.

Thanks for all the info/guide.

12. gysun2222

gysun2222 Member

I got one from Echostore.com , $4.99 shipping. And I found a coupon #: e1068, 10% off, this coupon # is for their other products, but it worked when I used it for this item. So the shipping became $0.99(their price is $39.99, 10% off, $35.99).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  13. ds69

ds69 Member

Hi Mr. Hanky et al,

Anyone got WIFI working on his/her R4 or M3 DS Simply? Got my R4 a week ago after reading all the great info here. Been messing around with it and had ZERO problems with running backups and some homebrew. However, WIFI's a whole different story...

...it's driving me NUTS! I've been running WFC settings under wifi games and see my networks/Access points. I get the "Connected" message but I'm unable to get inside the AP. No IP address obtained from DHCP or even IPs manually entered.

I'm running DSLinux and other homebrew (like wifi_lib_test) and they all see the available networks/access points but still cannot get inside. Geez. And yeah, I've run through multiple configuration changes on my router (disabled WEP, open, dhcp and static IP settings), everything I could think of. Still no luck connecting this DS Lite to wifi. Yep, DLDI patching performed on any homebrew that needed it too.

This is driving me crazy! Anyone have any luck getting into their access point and actually receiving a pingable IP for their DS? Love the dslinux features, but they're useless if I can go online...

I'd be grateful for any responses, TIA!

14. defdave

defdave Guest

Removed by original poster

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2007
  15. defdave

defdave Guest

Sorry for the double post!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2007
  16. defdave

defdave Guest

Sorry for the triple post!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2007
  17. defdave

defdave Guest

Hey guys. Everybody here has been so helpful to me throughout my "DS journey", and I'm VERY grateful.

Now here's a new question....I've heard lots about DS homebrew and ebook/.pdf readers. Are there any and if so, could someone direct me to a download and if possible, a guide to using it?

It's just that I have many .pdf files that I'd love to view on my DS. I'm enjoying the comic book reader right now, but that only reads .cbr or .cbz comic files, not .pdf files. I was able to convert 1 .pdf file to .cbz, so I can view that magazine on the DS via the comic book reader, but so far that's the only one that's worked.

I don't mind reading plain text if I absolutely have to, but if it's possible I'd really like to be able to view my illustrated .pdf files on the good 'ol DS.

Thanks in advance for any solution!

18. sinners

sinners Regular member

Wow! Great guide! I'm very confident now on buying a M3 DS Simply! Now all I need is to cough up some money for a MircoSD and a MicroSD card reader...
    Pity there is no GBA support, MP3 makes up for it :D I wish it can play lossless though....

19. reptilesz

reptilesz Member

Hi, microsd isnt very expensive. Check amazon.com and newegg.com and places like that. The m3 ds simply comes with a reader of which mine didnt work. But the microsds come with their own reader so I didnt worry about it.

Take care and good luck

20. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

UPDATE:
    - Changed download site from dualscene to http://nds.kiwiclx.com
    - Added thanks section, so I could than kiwiclx :D

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007