1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M3 DS simply in japanese?

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by nschrb, Mar 30, 2007.

1. nschrb

nschrb Member

I recently bought an M3 DS simply and it arrived in Japanese. I installed all the japanese firmware that came on the installation cd and when I boot up the M3 DS Simply, it give me some error in japanese. Obviously I do not read japanese and have no idea how to fix the problem. Please give me any insight that you may have. Thank you!

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

When is the error? Before the menu? If so it is because it is a problem with the MicroSD card, either formatted incorrectly, the files are not on it corrcetly, it cannot read the card, or the card isnt there.

3. nschrb

nschrb Member

Yes, the error is before the menu. The files are on the disk correctly. I transfered the system files or firmware files to the root directory of the micro sd card. I tried formatting the micros sd in both fat32 and fat16. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Nathan

4. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Do you have another MicroSD you could try? Or maybe try downloading the firmware in case the one on CD is corrupt.

5. Materia

Materia Member

In hopes of shedding some light on this matter (and in turn, getting some much needed advice as well), I wanted to give my two-yen on this topic. I have purchased a Japanese Simply along with a San-Disk 2GB Micro SD card, and I have also had the same problem stated in this thread. After a perfunctory scan of the card my DS Lite immediately boots to Simply screen with a large text box in the middle, complaining in Japanese that (roughly) "There is no compatability with the current hardware version." I also have tried several different formatting styles and several different firmware versions as well, yet have been unable to get anything except the aformentioned error message. I have even tried another San-Disk 2B card and a seperate Simply as well; always meeting the same frustrating end. Is it possible that the Simply is incompatable with that particular microSD card? That would be quite odd, but I am starting to wonder what other factors could be to blame. I have written to M3 about this also and will also try to use a different microSD card altogether to see if it remedies the situation. Of course, should either of these bear fruit I'll post again here, but in the meantime any insight into this would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks in advance.

6. Materia

Materia Member

When you're good you're good. And when you you're impatient you're impatient. Good news is, I probably got an answer to this prob. Bad news is, I obviously posted way to early the first time without dotting some i's and crossing some t's. Turns out, the Simply is indeed unable to find anything compatible with it's current hardware version, but that has nothing to do with the microSD card. It displayed that error because it's current firmware wasn't in its native tongue. It would seem that if you want to use the Japanese version of the Simply, you gotta use the Japanese version of the firmware as well. Forgive me if that seems moronically simple (no pun intended) in retrospect, but my G6 allows me to use any language setup as far as I know, so I didn't expect that the Simply would be so picky. Anyway, moral of the story, if you have this problem, make sure you are using the appropriate language's firmware (i.e. Japanese Simply = Japanese firmware -- Do NOT install the English firmware on a Japanese Simply; he/she is NOT bilingual). That should fix you right up. Take care.

7. nschrb

nschrb Member

Nice work. This was a very simple solution and something I should have thought of myself. Thanks for your insight. I actually just exchanged mine for an engish version, but good to know for others sharing the same frustration!