1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M3 for a beginer

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by mark5hs, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Erdrick

Erdrick Regular member

The link to the Castlevania test is down, and has been for a long time. Does anyone know of an alternate link that has the Castlevania test? I am about ready to order my setup, and want to make sure that I get the fastest, future-proof card that I can!

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

3. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

I have the version 22 firmware (thats the newest one, right?) and I tried dragging and dropping an MP3 file onto the memory card, but it didn't apear when I selected music from the M3 menu. Do I have to create a specific folder or do I have to download moonshell seperately?

4. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

It won't appear in the M3 music player.
    As you have have firmware 22 you should have M3s moonshell available form the main menu.

Choose the 'Extend' icon to load the M3s Moonshell, now locate and play your MP3.

5. Erdrick

Erdrick Regular member

Before ACTUALLY asking my question, I want to make sure whether or not it is a permitted question... Are we allowed to ask about ROM locations on the net?

Oh, and thanks for the update on the Castlevania test MrHanky! I just wish that people would list their read/write times (and random access times) that they are achieving with the respective cards. That tells me a lot more than a 5 number-scale does.

6. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

well, sort of. your allowed to say the name of the site that has them but not allowed to directly link to them.

7. Erdrick

Erdrick Regular member

All right then! So, where do people get their DS roms at? I have been using sites like mininova, but they usually only have the 500MB packs that have way too many unnecessary games in them. I also have tried DGEmu, but they make you PAY for downloading the games. They claim it is to pay for bandwidth, but that still sounds a bit fishy to me.

So, any other sites that I should be trying?

8. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

That's basically it.

You could always try isoHunt, TorrentSpy, and The Pirate Bay though.

Oh, and DGEmu lets you get games for free if you just wait for you points to reaccumulate. It only gets up to 12 last time I saw my brother using it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  9. Erdrick

Erdrick Regular member

venom: I know about the free global points, but they are never enough to get any of the good games.

10. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

Id say the best Site for DS roms is ISO hunt. You still have to download them in packs but when you click on them, it lists all the games in the pack so you can just download it and delete the games you dont need.

11. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

About those DS packs.

If you use a client such as BitComet, you can select/deselect individual files of the torrent to be downloaded.

So say, it lists 50 different games, and you only want 10 of them. Deselect all the games you don't want, and leave the ones that you do want checked. It'll only download the checked ones, saving you download time.

12. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

I use bitcomet and that doesn't really work to well. When ever I try downloading just part of a file, it uploads very little and as a result downloads very slowly. I find it more practical to download the entire pack overnight and then delete the roms I dont need.

13. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

I've never had a low upload rate affect download speed. I usually just cap my upload at 20 kbps and end up with a download speed of 120+ kbps.

14. Erdrick

Erdrick Regular member

Thanks for the info on the packs guys.

Venom: I totally forgot about selecting parts of files. I also didn't realize that the games were separate. I guess that I just figured that they were a rar without even looking at them. I feel kind of stupid now. I will definitely just dl the packs and choose which ones I want to download.

15. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

Im looking for some good homebrew applications, such as games, downloaders, and other stuff (one thing I need is sometihng to improve to interface for viewing text documents). What applications do you recomend? Is DS organize 2.2 any good?

16. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

DS organise is very good, I've only stopped using it as it dosn't work on my G6 :-(

Try Beup (MSN Messenger) and DS Linux.

As for games, try No Place to Hide, Collection and GridlockDS.

17. pakixd

pakixd Regular member

don't forget DoomDS :)

18. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

DoomDS screwed up my CF card, so i don't play on it :(

Play doom on pretty much every other console i own though.

19. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

I downloaded DS organise and its great except Im having some trouble accesing the homebrew database, but I figure Ill just ask on their forums. Erdrick, I just found out that you can download individual roms from frozen-roms.net , in case you dont want to use torrents.

20. Erdrick

Erdrick Regular member

Mark5hs: Thank you for the info. I have gone through most of the packs and picked out the roms that I wanted, but that site will be helpful in the future, when new games come out.