1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M3 Simply or Cyclo Evolution

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by dialtonex, Aug 1, 2007.

1. dialtonex

dialtonex Member

I'm getting a Nintendo DS Lite for the first time and if read as much info into modding it as I can. I'm still a little confused on the slot 1, slot 2, and passme devices needed. From my understanding slot 1 is to get my ds backups to run and slot 2 for gameboy advanced and a lot of homebrew needs slot 2. Now I've hear a lot of cards such as the M3 Simply and the new Cyclo Evolution are the most popular and have a passme device included so its all I'm going to need besides the external sd storage, correct me if I am wrong. My main objective is getting my DS backups to run so I dont need to carry cartridges but homebrew and GBA backups would be nice too so I am wondering if the M3 Simply or Cyclo Evolution is the only hardware needed (besides the external SD storage) and if so which one is better and what are the extra functions the cyclo evolution has over the m3. I know some of these questions have been answered in the forum and ive read through enough posts but I would like if someone could personally answer my specific questions. Thanks guys the help is greatly appreciated.

-dialtone

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

I won't go into much detail as it's nearly 3am where I am and i'm tired, but basically the only advantage of getting a cycloDS over the M3 is that the cyclods can use SDHC (High Capacity) cards so can go above the 4GB memory card limit the M3 has. The cycloDS team have promised other features such as save states but have not done it yet (and i'm sure if they do the M3/R4 people won't be far behind)

With both devices the only other hardware you need is the MicroSD card (i think the cycloDS comes with a card reader, i know the M3 does)

Slot-2 devices are far too much effort to list all of them and their pros and cons, i'll just state that with all my slot-1 devices I use an "EZFlash 3-1" for my GBA games. The 3-1 needs a slot-1 card (e.g the M3) to store the GBA games on, but the price and features of it are very good.

3. dialtonex

dialtonex Member

ok so for GBA games there *must* be a slot 2 device such as the ezflash 3 in 1 and not current slot 1 card such as the ones previously mentioned have that capability of playing GBA backups?

4. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

It is not possible for a slot-1 card to play GBA games, it is a limitation of the DS. Hence the need for a slot-2 device if you want to play GBA games.