1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac + Azureus

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by 11high, Jul 11, 2007.

1. 11high

11high Member

Disclaimer: This is not about port forwarding. Sort of.

I recently got a macbook and as a result, finally set up wireless internet in my house. Before I had the little Linksys router to deal with, bittorrent was just beautiful on my compy: all i had to do was port forward, watch my firewall, and bam, happy green smiley face in azureus.

Since I had to set up the wireless though, bittorrent has gone back down to yellow smileys and is having serious issues making connections on both the mac and the desktop - but especially the mac. I have done literally everything I could think of, I have my TCP port set to 16875 and my UDP port set to 16880; and I've forwarded my ports on BOTH my router and my modem from 16870 to 16890. I've also tried port triggering the same ports, with the trigger port set to 6881 (I assume this is the azureus default trigger regardless of any changes made to the TCP or UDP ports?). I've got my static IP set up, I've disabled all firewalls that I could humanly find, but still azureus tells me it has a NAT issue and is being blocked by some firewall. This is on both the mac and on the PC, but like i said before the mac seems to have an even harder time making connections and is usually stuck with periods of no connections to a couple then back to none.

The only other thing I can think of that might affect this is that my modem is plugged into my router as not the internet source but as a seperate computer (I'm not sure exactly why, but a friend set it up for me and it didn't work when we followed the Linksys directions and put it into the internet port, it only works in a computer port).

If yall need any more information just let me know, but i'm starting to think that it's just something ridiculously simple i'm overlooking. Are there any extra firewalls that I'm missing, is there something special about LInksys Wireless WRT54G routers I should know about, etc etc. My modem is a Westell WireSpeed, model B90-210030-04S2.

thanks for any help in advance.

2. pacino69

pacino69 Member

hi, i will try to help, but from reading your post you say that the modem is connected to the router via an ethernet(computer) port and not the internet port ( this is the one it should be plugged into on the linksys router). if this is the case it is connected incorrectly. please could you confirm this, i will then try to run through an easy way to set this up for you.

3. 11high

11high Member

I just tried connecting it up correctly, but like i said before it doesnt seem to work when it's hooked up correctly. Like I have absolutely no internet on my desktop, on my laptop, can't access web pages or anything. Hooking the line from the modem into an ethernet port seems like the only way it works. I have no clue why.

4. pacino69

pacino69 Member

i am assuming that both the mac and desktop are both wireless. in my experience some routers have to be connected with a wired connection first. follow these instructions :-

1 power off all - router,modem,computer
    2 connect one end of a ethernet cable to one of the ports(labelled 1-4) on the back of the router and the other end to an ethernet port on the pc.
    3 connect a different ethernet cable for the modem to the internet port on the router. this is the only port that will work for your modem connection
    4 power on in this order - modem,router,pc
    5 run the installation cd and install the router software

it may be an idea to reset the router to its default settings before you begin. once you have done this test the wired pc's internet connection and let me know if you have one.

5. pacino69

pacino69 Member

just one more thing, uninstall any previous router software. i also think you start the installation cd then connect all the hardware when prompted.

6. 11high

11high Member

the desktop is actually wired into the router, it's not wireless. When i tried to hook everything up traditionally before, i had it hooked up exactly like that. I know it sounds weird, but i can take a picture of it all if you want. I think the issue is that azureus has something firewalling it -- i noticed today that once in a blue moon i'll flicker to a green smiley for a few minutes, then back to yellow. But the red firewall dot is prepetually on.

7. 11high

11high Member

the desktop is actually wired into the router, it's not wireless. When i tried to hook everything up traditionally before, i had it hooked up exactly like that. I know it sounds weird, but i can take a picture of it all if you want. I think the issue is that azureus has something firewalling it -- i noticed today that once in a blue moon i'll flicker to a green smiley for a few minutes, then back to yellow. But the red firewall dot is prepetually on.

8. pacino69

pacino69 Member

okay, your pc is wired, the mac is wireless. you did'nt say whether you had any internet access when the set up was has it is supposed to be. a picture would be great. the problem your having with azureus - nat issue - is very common. a lot of people use ports 53000-63000 instead of the default, make sure you have the ports forwarded on both the router and firewall and have tcp and udp enabled. another thing i found that worked for a lot of people was having upnp enabled in azureus,enable pnp in windows firewall,enable upnp in the router. if you do have internet access on both mac and pc when the router is wired correctly you could then reset to default and try the settings i have suggested.

9. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Pacino69 is correct that the port could be a problem. Although port 6881 is the one Azureus sets by default, it should not be used.

"To avoid a decreasing Average Swarm Speed, some tracker administrators are banning these often throttled standard ports. This includes the standard port range of 6881–6999."

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Port_is_blacklisted

10. 11high

11high Member

not to be flippant or anything, but for the record I did say that the setup didnt work when it was hooked up correctly.

Also, I said in my first post that my ports were not the default, they were set to 16875 TCP and 16880 UDP. THey are both forwarded on the Modem and the router to the laptop (I don't want to download to the PC anymore since I got the laptop). UPNP Is enabled in Azureus and in the router.

pictures of the setup are coming right up.

11. 11high

11high Member

[​IMG]
    back of the modem

The yellow cable is from the ethernet to one of the numbered ports on the router. The black thing is the power, and the thing next to it is the internet line. The open slot with the blue around it is for a usb cord.

[​IMG]
    back of the router

The yellow cable from the modem is in one of the numbered ports, as is the blue cable leading from the computer into another numbered port. The black wire is a power cable, and the open slot to the left next to the Reset button is the empty internet line.

I know it's weird, but when i take the yellow cable out of one of the numbered ports and put it into the internet port, the internet no longer works.

12. 11high

11high Member

Oh and for the time being I have disabled both Mac Firewall and Windows firewall until I get the problem straightened out. After that I'll enable them and figure out how to get around them.

13. pacino69

pacino69 Member

okay, here we go. there is no doubt that this set up is incorrect. i am surprised you have got any internet at all with this set up. we need to get it running when all the hardware is connected as it should be. your problems with azureus are happening because the set-up is wrong. forget about the macbook for the time being. i am assuming that the internet is good when the pc is plugged into the modem. if this is the case, turn off power to all the hardware, connect the correct way. follow the following procedure:-

Power Cycling

Step 1:
    Shutdown the computer.

Step 2:
    Unplug the router’s power cable.

Step 3:
    Unplug the Broadband modem’s power cable and wait for 30 seconds.

Step 4:
    Plug in the Broadband modem’s power cable and wait for its lights to appear stable.

Step 5:
    Plug in the router's power cable once the modem’s lights appear stable.

Step 6:
    Power on the computer on and test the Internet connection.

now we need to check the correct LED's are lit.

Checking the Router’s led's

Step 1:
    Make sure the Power LED is lit and that the DIAG LED is not lit.

NOTE: If the Power or DIAG LED is blinking, you need to upgrade the router’s firmware. For instructions, click here.

Step 2:
    Make sure the numbered port (1, 2, 3 or 4) is lit.

NOTE: If the numbered port (1, 2, 3 or 4) is not lit, make sure that the computer is powered on. You can also try connecting the PC using another working cable.

Step 3:
    If you’re using a wireless router, make sure the WLAN Link or Wireless B or G is lit.

NOTE: If the WLAN Link or Wireless B or G is not lit, reset the router.

Step 4:
    Make sure the WAN Link or Internet LED is lit.

NOTE: If the WAN Link or Internet LED is not lit make sure that the broadband modem is powered on and that the modem is properly connected to the Ethernet port.

okay, if everthing is correct. follow the instructions in the following link to set-up internet with cable here

click here to see the set-up

let me know what happens.

14. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

The azureuswiki "Bad Routers" page lists the WRT54G, under the section "Due to too many connections", with a suggested remedy of lowering max global connections to under 200.

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_routers

There are also some additional suggestions at the bottom of the page, if that does not work.