1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac Going Outdated? QUESTION please help!

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by JohnH666, Apr 9, 2007.

1. JohnH666

JohnH666 Guest

I heard from a friend that macs suck because they start getting old and the parts inside start breaking. Is this true? And should I really buy a mac and not worry about that happening? PLEASE HELP!

2. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

that isn't true at all

if you take care of your macintosh and not toss it out a 2 story window i think you will be fine your freind sounds like he was talking about the older macintoshes like the g4 cube they stoped making because the clip breaks of inside the computer and the guts of the machine fall out of the base of the computer but you canot purchase g4 computers anymore except ebay so i wouldn't worry

3. JohnH666

JohnH666 Guest

Okay thanks alot. And I was going to buy a macbook off apple.com a refurbished one. Do you think thats pretty safe to do? Im getting a mac to edit videos with.. people told me that the cheaper macbooks would be too slow to do that. and multitasking is slow on the cheaper ones.. is that true?

4. Karma50

Karma50 Member

I would argue the reverse is true especially for laptops. I have been a mac user since 1984 and I am on my 3rd apple laptop. I got each of my laptops used and I find that it is much easier to adapt to newer tech with a mac than a PC.

While there are far more PCs sold than Macs (even in the laptop market) there seem to be alot more Macs available on the used or parts market than any one PC brand. THis is very beneficial for upgrading a laptop.

When you have a desktop unit, almost all the parts are interchangeable between Mac & PC and between brands within the PC world. This is especially true for parts you would upgrade or replace to extend the life of your computer like RAM, hard drive, CD/DVD drives, power supplies, etc. However video cards are not directly interchangeable without flashing the firmware.

With a laptop you can only upgrade the RAM and hard drive with universal parts that fit any brand of computer. Anything else that might break or become antiquated is proprietary to the brand (ie. Dell uses a different CD drive than IBM). However because there are so many apple laptops that are the exact same, when the computer starts to get outdated (or something breaks) there is a plethora of models on the used market being sold for parts not to mention a number of sites dedicated to fixing up old macs.

I just recently a Macbook to replace my G4 powerbook that was 6 years old. I had added RAM to 1gb, added a 60gb HD, replaced the CD reader drive for a Combo (DVD read/CD burn), replaced my lost power cord, and was considering replacing the LCD.

5. JohnH666

JohnH666 Guest

Oh thanks for the info.

6. 27stories

27stories Member

Macs get so much grief. They're great machines, and the refurbs often have less trouble than the regular retail ones.

Best thing to do if you're buying a Mac and concerned; buy their Applecare. 3 years of coverage, and they're really good about replacing machines if they have lots of repairs or you're unhappy.

I have an iBook that fell through a glass coffee table, and 2 years later, it still works like a champ, so I honestly can't complain.

7. JohnH666

JohnH666 Guest

lol good job.

8. 27stories

27stories Member

It wasn't me who dropped it :) Buddy of mine tripped, iBook fell through a glass coffee table; only damage is a tiny scratch on the screen.

9. JohnH666

JohnH666 Guest

oh thats good. Do you think if i buy a refurbished one there will be any scratches on it? :p

10. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

no because apple doesn't sell them like that

so i wouldn't worry and welcome to the mac forums here at afterdawn nice to talk to another mac user