1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mac mini

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bizzE, Apr 2, 2005.

1. bizzE

bizzE Guest

im thinking about purchasing a mac mini. unsure of which model yet but i have a question about the operating system (osx 10.3 panther). i hear its supposed to be one of the best. i hear the new one 10.4 tiger should be coming out soon. should i was to buy an apple when that comes out, or am i safe buying it now? is it worth the wait, how long will it take for apple to include that on the mac mini? let me hear your thoughts. thanks. by the way, this will be my first mac purchase. i am advanced with computers so i dont want to buy something that will hold me back.

2. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

Well, from what i hear the mini mac is a waste of money after u add a DVD writer and printer and screen it will be easier and cheeper to buy a dell, but it depends on what u want it for

3. bizzE

bizzE Guest

i custom build all my computers (all windows based). i want to explore with a mac and see what they can do. i video edit, record bands, digital multimedia and art as well. i still havent decided the model i would purhcase yet. but i would not get the dvd burner upgrade, i would use an external dual layer i have put together. i would probably consider the built in wireless. id be fine with the 40gb because i store all my files on an external hard drive. it would be a mac to mess around with and get used to and if i like what i see, ill purchase a high end one. and if anyone could tell me if it is worth upgrading to the $599 model let me know. and is it wise to not upgrade the ram with apple, and just upgrade it myself?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2005
  4. vans12

vans12 Regular member

I own a older mac but do not have that much experince with them I work with pc most of the time but i love my mac. I am thinking about geting a mac mini also from what i have seen it looks like a great deal because of all the advanced fetures. I can get the monitor cheap so that is what I am going to do once the new mac OS comes out.

5. bizzE

bizzE Guest

do you think theyll start putting the new OS on the mac minis soon? or is it going to be a long wait? i just dont want to buy one now and then in a week or two or three theyll have the new OS preinstalled.

6. evilmac1

evilmac1 Member

Hey bizzE, you should wait a couple of weeks as 10.4 just went Gold according to the rumor sites. I too am thinking about getting a Mac mini, I plan on using it as a Media Center. I am going to get the 1.25 GHz only because my software really doesn't need the extra power. If you are going to do video editing and audio, the extra horsepower is worthwhile. Hope this helps.

7. djscoop

djscoop Active member

please do yourself a favor and stick to building PCs. there's nothing to learn from macs, other than they suck, they're extremely expensive, and that PCs can do virtually everything better than they can.

8. evilmac1

evilmac1 Member

Hey djscoop, I would assume by your sig you would welcome the idea that bizzE is just being "inquisitve". I don't want to get into a pissing contest here about which platform is better. I use Macs and I use PCs; they both have their place in the work and play I do. I also dabble with various flavors of Linux. I am more marketable, because of this knowledge, and can demand a higher wage.

Knowledge is Power!

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

each system have there good & bad sides. i wouldn't go with a mini computer whether pc or mac as hard to get replacement parts like psu or motherboard. got 1 here from a customer 3yrs ago because of bad psu. ended up i replaced a bad cap in the psu & the mini pc works after putting in a cpu, ram, floppy, hd & cdrom drive

10. djscoop

djscoop Active member

people can be inquisitive as they want, but as far as macs go thats where I was at a few years ago. So I am just sharing the results of my explorations into the world of macs. To each his own though.

11. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

I think its is funny how mac haters never have the same reason for hating a mac, example,, through my years of learning about computers.. one person "Macs are horrible computers because they slowly eat them selves making the hardware defect".. another person " Macs are extremly limited and cant do anything" another person "Their to expensive" and way this continues to go on forever,, how ever i see macs as probably the best computer for everything excpet gaming,, mostly because there are almost no viruses for the Mac, The mac mini would be great for recording bands,, my cousin has his own record label ,, he makes cds and masters songs for local bands using a mac mini,, a mac min is great,, with a gigabyte of RAM,, and an 80 gigabyte hard drive,, and you can take it almost any where,, for instance you could take it to your friends house,, and all that you would need is a mointer,, I am not to familiar with the OS though, sorry..

12. djscoop

djscoop Active member

macs being extremely limited and macs being too expensive are their two main flaws. the whole viruses excuse is pretty lame if you ask me, because if you know anything about PCs you can easily install free antivirus programs like AVG and free firewall programs like Zone Alarm. About the mac mini being portable, why not just get a laptop. that would be so much easier that having to move a desktop computer around, even a small one like a mini mac, you still have to connect power, speakers, mouse, kb, monitor...etc. just get a laptop if you want portability. as for audio recording goes, I've been doing pro audio recording for about 8 years now, using Pro Tools. Been teaching it for the past 2. I'd put a PC up against a mac anyday for audio recording. Macs have no advantage whatsoever over PCs as far as audio goes.

13. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

haha, its funny how i had to bring it up to make you realize that its the two "main flaws" in the mac, all you close minded pc users put macs aside for every differnt reason, first of all their not even that more expensive, and second would you rather install an anti virus, or do nothing at all.. Think about it,, having a p2p system and using it alot would kinda be like playing russian rolutte with a pc, where as if you have a mac with a p2p, you dont have to worry about anything,, and you have to worry about keeping up to date with viruses for a pc, oh yeah macs have no viruses to keep u p to date to....

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  14. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

oh yeah,, and how are they limited? do you mean limited kinda like windows is to linux?

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Liez4Love, explain why there are antivirus & spyware for macs than!!!! all systems are vulnerable so all need them. main reason we hear about viruses & spyware is because pc's make about 95% of the computer market. have you ever wondered why there are more pc's then mac's???

16. djscoop

djscoop Active member

well actually if you would have read my first post on this thread I mentioned how expensive they are AND how PCs are more versatile.

as ddp mentioned, there ARE viruses out there for macs. If not why are there antivirus programs for macs? But because there is an overwhelming percentage of PC users over mac users, there are more viruses for PCs, just like there are more programs for PCs, hence macs being limited to big name software.

at least you have my kind of sense of humer with that bush quote...lol