1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac OS X Isn’t Safe Anymore: The Crapware / Malware Epidemic Has Begun

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by ireland, Feb 26, 2015.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

Mac OS X Isn’t Safe Anymore: The Crapware / Malware Epidemic Has Begun

OS X users like to make fun of Windows users as the only ones that have a malware problem. But that’s simply not true anymore, and the problem has increased dramatically in the last few months. Join us as we expose the truth about what’s really going on, and hopefully warn people about the impending doom.

Since it is actually Unix under the hood, OS X has some native protection against the worst types of viruses. But the problem these days isn’t viruses that completely break your computer, it’s spyware, crapware, and adware that sneaks onto your computer, hijacks your browser, inserts ads, and tracks what you are looking at. And much of it is legal, because you get tricked into clicking the wrong thing during an installer.

And now download sites, fake ads for software on search engines, and sketchy applications are bundling adware and crapware into installers for legitimate software. You can’t just assume you are safe anymore because you’re on OS X. You need to be careful what you download, and what you click.

READ MORE
    http://www.howtogeek.com/210589/mac-os-x-isn’t-safe-anymore-the-crapware-malware-epidemic-has-begun/

2. AndyNew

AndyNew Newbie

While installing a free trial version of Skysoft media converter, I've had another window pop up asking me whether I would like to install another app (can't remember the exact name but it was something random and had nothing to do with skysoft). Needless to say, I've cancelled the installation and deleted the installer.

My question is: should I be worried?

Avast (free version) doesn't show any signs of malware and the machine runs perfectly smooth, but this got me a little worried. I guess just another reason to backup frequently.

3. Nepheler

Nepheler Member

I'm using Skysoft and have no problems...maybe because my copy was installed months ago. But I did get a whether-to-trust-the-developer tip when installing a third party BD ripper last week. Is it a software issue or the OS?

4. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

Really this is a old post and you need to understand something iskysoft is malware always has been on mac and windows also the software issue is the fact there is security in the o.s that keeps you protected from hackers

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

thread is just over a month old so it is still active.

6. GreenMinishCap

GreenMinishCap Newbie

Just have avast run in the background. Problem solved.