1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

macbook audio

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by bballcj33, May 22, 2006.

1. bballcj33

bballcj33 Member

does anyone one know if the new macbook is capable of being connected to a surround sound system? Also is the sound dolby digital quality 5.1 surround? and finally if this is possible, what cables would I need?

This is what the tech specs say:
    # Combined optical digital audio input/audio line in (minijack)
    # Combined optical digital audio output/headphone out (minijack)

Thanks in advance for any help : )

2. Londor

Londor Guest

To get surround sound you need to connect the MacBook to a surround system with a Dolby Digital and/or a DTS decoder using a Toslink optical audio cable.

The end that goes into the MacBook needs to be a mini toslink (miniplug) so I recommend you to get a toslink cable that can convert between toslink and mini toslink like this one:

http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/FT207-10.htm?x=23&y=6

3. bballcj33

bballcj33 Member

ok yea thats what i thought thank you very much...One more question, when i connect my dvd player to my surround receiver theres the red and white rca cables as well as the optical cable. When i am hooking up the laptop do i need to use an rca cable and an optical cable..if so where is there a spot for both, I only see one audio output hole?