1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MacBook or iMac? which 1 should i get? plz

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by jonnymint, Jun 26, 2007.

1. jonnymint

jonnymint Member

yeah so my mum is going to get me a mac for my upcoming birthday but i dont know which one i should choose. please help me. I'm going to wait until october so i get leopard but anyway, these are the options:
    <> a 17 - inch iMac 1.83 GHz
    <> a 13 - inch MacBook 2 Ghz
    so which one?

thanks for the help

2. KillaRob

KillaRob Member

Idk Id get macbook pro thats what i ahve but.. thats jsut my opinion Either way its really great.. just wait till you get it.. youll never use windblows again i promise :)

3. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

well it really depends on what your goin to do. I own a Apple Retail Store so i have used them all. I love my macbook small,light has the isight cam etc. I use an iMac every day at work. i would love the macbook if it had backlit keyboard and the speakers sounded a little better. But what are you goin to do on it?

4. KillaRob

KillaRob Member

my macbook pro does have the illuminated keys.. theres a button its the f10 button but it has to be a dark room it has sensors in the speakers.. Get a macbook pro and youll love it but either way mac> everything.

5. jonnymint

jonnymint Member

Well i cant get a macbook pro but they sound really good.
    i can only get what i've listed above because of the price.

I will be using it as my genaral computer as my windows laptop is in it's last leg.

6. KillaRob

KillaRob Member

oh my bad I didnt even realize tahts what you meant... Id say still go with the macbook the widescreen is gorgeous.. much bigger than you think and if your getting it new youll get al the upgrades (I have the first gen macbook) so ill be envious Ive heard the processor runs 4 times faster.. and you get a wireless N card and more ram or something.

7. jonnymint

jonnymint Member

aha killarob, well i've weighed out the specs and that seems to be the more for your money deal, but i'm still not sure i think i would prefer a blutooth mouse if i got that but there all around £50.
    still you did help but i think i need more suggestions first.
    thanks

8. N3WT0WN

N3WT0WN Member

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  9. KillaRob

KillaRob Member

I just bought that mighty mouse Very good post thanks a bunch I couldnt afford a mouse after I bought my mac But that ones reasonably priced.

10. jonnymint

jonnymint Member

it still seems a bit expensive. depends how much my mum will spend, and how i will need to give her for the mac anyway so we'll see

11. vinny13

vinny13 Guest

Well I have a 20" iMac... Expensive but really fast and efficient I guess...

I'd get the MacBook if your only other option is the 17". Everything about the MacBook is nicer, unless your planning to install windows on it and play games... Kind of tough when the screen is barely 10" high.

But ya to me if you get an iMac, the 20" seems like the standard so if I were you I'd get the MacBook.

*Oh ya, the Mighty Moue takes a lot of getting used to, I've had this thing for almost a month and I still have trouble right-clicking. The cool thing is though is that it looks nice and the laser shows what looks like a mouse face, with ears and eyes lol :)

WORD OF CAUTION! If you chose the iMac, GET THE WIRELESS MOUSE AND KEYBOARD PACKAGE!!! Unless you have extentions, the extra $70 or so is worth it because my cords are too short :( So remomber that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2007
  12. Speedy16

Speedy16 Member

This is honestly a really hard question to answer. First you need to decide if you want stationary, or portablity? I have always had laptops/notebooks. I have always bought nice ones for portability purposes. I like being able to chat and watch tv in my living room, or watch a movie in the car or w.e. Its really up to what you will be using it for. As my first mac, i bought the mac book. I am loving everything about it, howwever, sometimes the screen is a lil small for muy liking. (My old comp used to be 17"). For a overall, multi purpuse laptop I say 15" are the best. Which would bring me to my next point. Pay the extra $$$ and get the pro man. If you do decide to get a imac, then teh 17" should be plenty of goods for you

13. jonnymint

jonnymint Member

hmm. that helps a lot guys, thanks! If i do get an imac i was probably going to choose the wireless mouse and keyboard because there is only 4 usb ports, but that would mean having to pay £840 all together because that option is only available from the second 17" model up. If i got an macbook a pro would probably be out of the question, but it all depends on how much money my mum will spend beacause i will put the rest to it.

14. Speedy16

Speedy16 Member

Honestly kid I recommend you save your money. Do everything you can to scrap enough $$$ to buy an upgraded mac or mac pro. I realize its a lot, but its gunna be one of the best decisions you can make.

15. KillaRob

KillaRob Member

Yup like I said It will be the best choice youll ever make as far as computers go.. you cant beat it. apple > anything

16. jonnymint

jonnymint Member

we'll see, i've still got to wait to october yet.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  17. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Am i the only person here that sees that £840 is going to buy a very nice Windows laptop (not like Dell etc, but a quality manufacturer like Toshiba) That could play all the most modern games and do everything you want...

I'm not saying Apple don't make very nice laptops, but i think you do get less for your money.

18. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

In apple you get reliability and ease of use. Since Macs now run windows you can run the most modern anything, since any OS (to a degree) will run on them

Cheap, Fast, Reliable.....Pick 2

Also to Vinny13: try lifting you pointer finger off the mouse button when you right click so just your middle finger is on the mouse

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  19. jonnymint

jonnymint Member

well, i've just checked the apple uk store site and they've released new iMacs now the only models they have are 20 inch and 24 inch.
    The first 20 inch one seems to have they same specs as the old 20 inch iMac, and it's the same price as the old 17 inch one that i said i might get.
    what do you think the new 20 inch or the macbook i've said in my first post?
    thanks

20. PSPant

PSPant Member

i'd suggest u to buy an imac. it's got better graphic card whereas macbook's graphic card is so crappy (though i use mb) it sucks. the ram is upgradable to 4gb where macbook is just up to 2gb, and imac hdd is wow definitely way bigger than macbook (considering it's a desktop) but really the hd is upgradable up to 500gb-750gb,and it's just been released where the probability of comming newer macbook is likely, it'd be too bad if it happened if u had just gotten a macbook. Imac is better off than macbook Oh yea one more thing, the only thing that is very good about macbook is it's portability :) that's why i chosen macbook lol but i want macbook pro .... it's just like portable imac :p