1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macrovision

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sherbet66, Mar 3, 2005.

1. sherbet66

sherbet66 Member

Hi,

first off I'm a complete newbie here, I've had a look through some of the forum's and found the information you guys post really useful, gor a DVD burner 3 days ago and been going flat out ever since.

I do have a question however that i could not find much info on, i saw that Macrovision have beefed up thier copy protection on the DVD's that will be produced in the near future:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4266977.stm

I know that traditionally when a company touts its security software it proves to be nothing more than a interesting (and short) challange to the script kids out there, however this new development does appear to throw hurdles up that might be difficult to jump over. Does anyone know more about this? I do want to keep a backup of my disks, could this render DVD Decrypter useless, certainly sounds so (gulp)

Dave

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Macrovision isn't really an encryption at all, but more of a filter and it is aimed at stopping people from copying DVD's from one standalone DVD player to another stand alone DVD player... So I don't believe this will effect DVD Decrypters capabilities at all, but I could be wrong maybe someone else smarter than me could comment on the subject?

But not BroBear because he's not smarter than me!! LMAO ;-)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  3. sherbet66

sherbet66 Member

Cheers for getting back to me so fast,

i suspect that until we see a working copy of this protection it may be difficult to post info on it for now, from what they say in the article it sounds slightly ominous re the focus on the "rent,rip,return" market who traditionally would use the DVD Decripter software as a lead in to backing up DVD's, hopefully you are right on that.

Ps, had a look at your site, nice one, a really good one stop shop on DVD backups information, its in the favorites now!

D

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Thanks,

Yeah I am at work on slow arse server and couldnt get to that link but I will check it out when I get home..

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Thats the new Ripguard system that has come up in several threads. No reason to worry about it yet until it actually comes out. Once it comes out someone will probably start working on a decrypting program for it too. They (movie companies) haven't had too much success with the new encryptions just out so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Jerry

6. Rushman1

Rushman1 Member

BBmayo...I could be mistaking, but I dont think it has anything to do with one device to another. I think it is designed to cause the Ripping program to timeout and stall. It will crash the program. So they claim.
    Thanks