1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

main movie disapperars on backup dvd

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by bombbay41, Jan 16, 2005.

1. bombbay41

bombbay41 Guest

I have one dvd I've tried to backup using decrpter (file mode), shrink and Nero. At the end of the process, my backup dvd has an almost 2hr "The Making Of......", but the actual film isn't anywhere to be found. Haven't tried it a third time yet, because I'm not sure what I did wrong. In shrink, I simply picked "main title" and one AC3 audio track. The weird thing is, I can't find this 2hr "Making Of..." segment anywhere on the original dvd! Any thoughts anyone?

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

What Movie is it? I had a simler thing happen to me on Without a paddle in DVD backup it only showed 1 movie file but when you re-authored it showed 2 movie titles 1 was the movie and the other was the making of "comentary" angle. couldnt figure out why I couldnt choose to still image the comentariy 1 in full back up till somone explaned to me they sometimes use interleving in the video where it only shows 1 file in a full back up.

3. bombbay41

bombbay41 Guest

Film is I Robot. I did reauthor in shrink to get rid of extras like trailers and such, as I only wanted the film itself, but I don't think I even looked at the Angle settings, because I really don't know what these are. Could this be my mistake do you think? I looked at the reauthored folder as it was b4 the burn stage, but unlike your experience, there was not 2 titles. Interesting thought about the interleaving, is that what angles are?

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

The Angle titles vary on what they are you just have to really play them view them to see what is diffrent about the angle.

In re-author mode if there are two diffrent angles they will show up. I did I, Robot just the movie without any problem. Try again just pull in the first movie title. Click on it and play it make sure its the movie fast forword thru it in the viewer on DVDShrink.

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Did you choose the SC3 audio 5.1 english? Just making sure you did if you didnt then you may have selcted the directores comintairy audio file with the movie. Which would play the movie with him talking in the background.

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

edit: I ment to say AC3 5.1 english. Man soon I will have the whole redwings team on this page.

7. bombbay41

bombbay41 Guest

Thanks. So angles are somehow interleaved into a main title? (If so, I really don't even want to think about HOW!)In layman's terms, they are buried within the the film itself? If so, I must ask how to look at different angles, since each time I've seen the "angles" drop down, it's been greyed out. I might have a setting of some sort wrong, I haven't been hands on with this stuff long enough yet for it be intuitive as far as navigating each application's options/prefs/settings.

8. bombbay41

bombbay41 Guest

Just as I sent last reply, you showd up and, man, you're right the redwings are every where. Just realized your first response referred to DVD backup, is that a different app from the usual decryter, shrink and nero?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2005
  9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Well uasly the Angels are listed in both Full disc and in re-auhtor, but in some "without a paddle" it only shows the 1 title file in full backup, but in re-author it has "Title 1" and then "Title1(angle2)" I didnt understand this at first till somone explained to me that some movies use interleving in full disc mode. But I made a full back up of Without a paddle and even tho you seen the directories poping talking in the movie while it was recoding the end DVD didnt have them thier it all worked out where I could have the option of them there or not.

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

DVDShrink has 2 ways you can back up a DVD. either Full backup or re-author mode.

Full Backup lets you keep everything, Extras Menus movie Etc Etc

If you click on Re-author you can pull just the movie file in and backup just the movie or anything else you want on the re-authered disc.

Keep in mind if you re-author the menus wont work they just play like a slide show it will encode one file after the other the maping of the DVD isnt there anymore.

Some like the menus and Extra's and compress the film down to keep the things they want, but the lower the compression the more the quility is gone.

Some just copy the Movie in Re-author cause uasly when you just pull the movie in you dont need to compress it so you lose hardly any quility.

11. bombbay41

bombbay41 Guest

OK. I'm gonna have to shut down now, but, in the next couple of days I'll try learning more about angles and also more about what all the titles, menus and such mean; you gave me a good place to start. Thanks. I'll be back on Tues

BTW, I don't know squat re hockey, are they going to play or is shutdown?

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Hockey season dosent look good here this year I guess millions of dollars isnt enough for the players. But anyway I hope I was helpfull in someway.

13. bombbay41

bombbay41 Guest

@larrlje

OK, back to one of your earlier posts : "Did you choose the SC3(sic, he meant AC3) audio 5.1 english? Just making sure you did if you didnt then you may have selcted the directores comintairy audio file with the movie. Which would play the movie with him talking in the background."

I think you're right, I chose the 2.1 option, thinking that this pointed to an audio track which corresponds to my system's speakers, also it was about half the size of the 5.1 option. Now, I'm wondering if that option was actually emeshed with the "director's commentary" or as I called it before "the making of..." video that might have been interleaved within "title 1". However, on the backup, instead of seeing the movie and hearing the "directors comments", I both saw and heard nothing but "director's comms". This also happened with another film I tried to back up. The strange thing is, when I had picked the 2.1 audio, the preview window showed nothing but the movie, no trace of the "director's" stuff. Tonight, will try backing up something else, using only the 5.1 audio. Wondering, though, how shrink handles this seeming conflict during a full backup, or a re-author wherein I picked both 2.1 and 5.1 audio.

Of course, all this is just conjecture on my part, does anyone see if it makes sense or am I totally out of whack?