1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maintaining AVS quality in VirtualDub

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Gkkl, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Gkkl

Gkkl Member

Hello,

This is my first post, so hopefully I'm not breaking any rules. I did all of the searches and could not find the answer anywhere else on this site.

Well, anyway, I'm trying to create a music video. I've so far managed to 1) Create my DVD2AVI project, 2) Create an .avs version of the project, and 3) Import the project into VirtualDub. I was wondering if there's a way to save various clips from my footage in VirtualDub while maintaining the original quality of the DVD2AVI project? In other words, is there a way to save segments of my VirtualDub imported footage without making it an .avi file that requires compression, etc.? Or is there any way to do this with DVD2AVI or another program (save various clips without sacrificing quality)?

I'm asking because I plan to eventually use Adobe Premiere to create my video, and I'm going to substitute the high-quality .avs files for the .avi files using a method that someone came up with that works. But as it stands now, the .avs files I have are the exact same as the .avi files (which makes sense, considering they basically link to the .avi files). I was wondering if I could somehow get exact copies of the clips I need for my video, but in their original, high-quality state, and then convert all these high-quality clips into .avs format for my final project.

I'm sorry for that long-winded explanation. Many thanks in advance for your help.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can Make Clips in AVI format that are Not Compressed or Losslessly Compressed so there will be no Quality Loss...
    I suggest rendering your Clips to AVI useing the "HuffYUV Codec" because it is 100% lossless and creates files half the Size of Uncompressed AVI but can still use up to 30gb per hour of full resolution Video....
    I don"t know about on your System but on Mine Adobe Premier doesn"t accept AVISyth Files but I am useing the Pro 1.5 version....
    You can just load the Rendered HuffYUV Encoded AVI file into Premier and edit it...

You also Could have just used the Source Mpeg2/VOB files in Premier and edited it without Converting to AVI or AVS...

Cheers

3. Gkkl

Gkkl Member

Thanks a lot for your help :) All of your suggestions make sense. I appreciate it.

Funny thing is, I've been using that Huff codec you mentioned for VirtualDub, and it made really good clips. But when I try to set this codec as the one for Premiere to use as well, it doesn't accept it and automatically chooses another codec for me, no matter how many times I try. I wonder why this happens?

Thanks again.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

What version of Premier are you useing Because In Premier Pro 7 or 1.5 it allows you to,well it lets Me at least to Select the HuffYUV Codec as the Codec to Render too...
    I know that versions of premier before the Pro versions worked in RGB Colorspace and had problems with files that used a YUV Colorspace like File encoded with HuffYUV but it would still allow me to select HuffYUV as the codec to render to....Wierd problem...sory I can"t help....

Good Luck