1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major changes to the forum search

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by dRD, Nov 2, 2005.

1. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

As the forum search is the single most important factor making our site slow at times, we've spent last couple of days trying to improve it and make it cause less stress on our database servers. The new forum search is now online and should be significantly faster than the previous one. Only visible change to the users will be with the sorting of results -- they wont be sorted by forum rooms anymore, but instead by the date of the last post to a thread that contains a matching entry.

Additionally, I fixed one flaw with the search now -- the previous version also searched through people's signature files, instead of just messages and this nag is now fixed.

It might take few hours for the search to get itself cached and running smoothly. Meanwhile, report any problems to us immediately as we need to know whether the new search has improved site's response times or not.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

cheers boss, i now tend to search for afterdawn threads via google (sorry, old habits die hard) for all my crossreferencing. My excuse is i'm doing that to take the load of AD's search function :)

Will start trying out the search later

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

tried to do a search on 1shrek & didn't show a post at all & i know he/she has posted. tried around 1:30 & 3:30pm est with same result.

4. dRD

ddp: You mean you tried to search posts by a user or a post where the term "1shrek" is mentioned in (as the fields in search form are different for searching posts by user X or searching posts with term X)?

5. creaky

dRD - hi, i can't get the user search to work either, i just searched for ddp, not a bean came back..

edit- andmerr just got me to type ddp into the "search for this exact phrase" box - and it worked. that just doesn't make sense. plus it's more confusing that the "Search messages written by" box doesn't work at all

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  6. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hey dRD INCASE YOU cant understand creaky a pic tells a 1000 words

[​IMG]

7. dRD

Hi guys,

Yup, the user name search (the box below) didn't work. I spent all my energy yesterday tweaking the main search that searches through post contents that I totally forgot to even test the search for user's posts (as its never been a problem in performance-wise, its the post search that is giving me grief..). This has been fixed now and should be populated to the production servers in few minutes. Thanks for finding and reporting this nag :)

8. andmerr

andmerr Guest

not a prob

9. creaky

@dRd - cheers, it's working now

10. Glitched

Glitched Guest

YAh b4 they were slow as hell not there like super fast:D

11. gamename

gamename Regular member

yeah, now we all need to work on the guides. some of them are really old. the next time i get some vacation time i think ill try my hand. anybody else game?

12. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

@gamename

If it aint brok why fix it???

and Thanxs dRD for the changes always improvin the site :)

13. Ollie1337

Ollie1337 Guest

i say the same thing :p

14. BeachLess

BeachLess Member

HI, just a few lines all i can say is to all VETS as being one myself THANK YOU and WELCOME HOME to my viet-nam brothers army 69-71. THANKS. RICK ST.PETE FL p.s great place here.