1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major Help NEEDED!! What software?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by gerard514, Jan 30, 2005.

1. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Hi, i have recently purchased dvdxcopy platinum, and i was just wondering if there are any other programs out there that will do the same job but only way better in the way that dvdxcopy does. I am looking for a better program possible one that has the support to burn a whole dvd to a dual layer disc.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

before you go out and buy more software. Try DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter (both free)

3. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Ok will both of these programs also copy the 5.1 channel audio

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

5. alseides

alseides Guest

i think dvdxcopy does everything for you with just a few clicks, so you dont really have to know much. plus they stick their own screen on there so you have to see it everytime you start the dvd (correct me if im wrong)

i prefer editing my movies to fit onto a dvd manually. i hate compression so i usually just take out all the extras or put them on another disc. use decrypter to rip the dvd (which removes all protection automatically) and then open the image in shrink to keep what you want and toss out what you don't. I make another image of the dvd with shrink and use this second stripped down image to burn with decrypter.

of course everyone does it differently, as long as it works.

6. kenji4861

kenji4861 Guest

Exactly what flip218 saids.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2005
  7. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

So even if a movie is bigger than a dvd-r (4.7gb) or sumthing like that, will the whole movie without taking things out still be able to fit on that one dvd-r, for instance does it still use some sort of a decripter, or would i have to get a bigger dvd-r disc for instance dual layer dvd's would this work also with this program. Thanks all for your help i currently have dvdxcopy platinum, i kinda dont like the picture quality as much it seems that it gets a little depreciated but overall not bad. I just been experiencing alot of pauses and skips probably cause of the media. I had bought maxell (could of been memorex) dvd-r 8x but that paused n skipped then tried maxell dvd+r 4x and that did the job except wouldnt work on some dvd players. Then recently got the dvd-r 4x and experienced the same pausing and skips dont know if it was because it was memorex or what and one of those dvd's didnt work on a dvd player that didnt play the dvd+r disc.

I really do appreciate all of your help. BEST SUPPORT HERE>.

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

From a former DVDxCopy Platinum user, do yourself a favor and get the software recommended by [bold]flip218[/bold]. Read the guides on using DVD Shrink along with DVD Decrypter or AnyDVD and you will be much happier with the final results. Yes, the entire Movie will be copied onto one disk if you prefer. Just look at the amount of information on here about these programs. They’re great! :)

9. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

I use the dvdxcopy platinum version too and it copies nicely to a dvd-r or dvd-rw with no pixelation or pauses or freeze ups. These are Verbatim and hold up to 4.7GB at 8x. .. hope that helps. I have received some pixelation and freeze ups with dvd x rescue toward the end of a 2 hour movie somewhere around chapters 20, 21, 22. I still haven't figured that one out yet. I'd like to try Dvd decrypter and Shrink. So, I will let you know how that works out for me. Good Luck!

10. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Ok i am very well convinced. As for dvdxcopy i needed 4x dvd r's to have best quality. With dvd shrink and decryipter or anydvd can i use 8x and will i still be very much happier with the end results in terms of quality. ANother question is where can i find specifically what each program is used for and which one is the best. Or is it good to have all three, also about copy write protection, has there been any problems or has these programs copied dvds successful. Im guessing little black book and the forgotten you need another program to run in the background to remove or hide the copy right? Im learning so dont worry,lol..Thank you again for everyones help..def way BETTER THAN DVD X COPY i am in the process of tryin to return it now hope i do well.

Thank you very much,
    Gerard.

11. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Also has anyone used the program clonedvd2? If so is the other programs here mentioned before still recommened over this one as well. Sorry to be a pain to everyone but deff this forum has the best talk community ive ever seen.

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I have an keep handy DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, AnyDVD and even VobBlanker. Only AnyDVD is not freeware.

13. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Ok sounds good I am looking at anydvd but i am guessing you need to buy the full verison before copying anything. Also i have seen a program called dvd-lab is that for people that have more experience.

Thanks Scuba

14. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

**[BOLD]IMPORTANT[/BOLD]
    Ok so heres a mystery, i have been working on Spiderman2 since yesterday using dvdxcopy(no longer using this program) then today tried clonedvd w/ anydvd running in the backgroup. It copyied i also edited some things out but what i cant understand is when i play back the video it pauses on my dvd player and sometimes in the same spot when i compare the two dvd's from dvdxcopy and clone dvd i am not using dvd shrink and analysing the movie going to try that program. Does anyone know whats going on. Im using memorex dvd-r 4x discs? Should i upgrade to an 8x disc? Is maxell better than memorex? And finally could there be somehting wrong w/ my external burner or internal drive reader. I did notice that the dvd burner has dvd-r 8x and i just realized it doesnthave 4x but i burned a dvd+ 4x disc with no problem. I thought it might of been the program but im guessing wrong.

15. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey gerald514:Is the maxell 4x - better than the memorex -4x, hell yes. Most members advise to stay away from memorex unless you know which lots are the good ones. Usually memorex prodisc are the good ones,10% of all memorex made.

I use a lot of maxell -4x yellow tops. I have run into mxlgr-02,ritek-go4,and some people got tyg01.All 3 are pretty good to great quality. Memorex uses c-magnetics corp"cmc-cmags" in a lot of their media. Avoid this manufacturer,never reliable.

I just tried out some maxell -8x "gold tops" and they code as mxl-rg03 and are proving flawless.

Burner says 4x and using 8x media: should have no problem if your firmware recognizes the 8x media code.
    I use 8x media on my home recorder and it specifically lists 4x only.The burner's firmware tells it to burn and control speed of each media that is programmed for it,updates are available on many burners.

Those problems on viewing those memorex on stand alones,burn slower.Poor media usually has to be burned slower for stand alone players to read them.If the problems are on the end of your backups,reducing target size usually fixes these problems-around 4300 - 4360 mbs:especially poor media.

16. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

well my burner says 8x but the discs im using are 4x do you think its save to go with 8x. Also what format do you use dvd-r or dvd+r. Thanks for the info im getting ready to return these memorx because they keep pauseing up on me unless if it is my dvd player.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I would recommend burning at 4X to avoid many of the problems you are experiencing but what do I know . . .

18. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

what program would you recommend clonedvd or dvd shrink>

19. Vedas830

Vedas830 Guest

I use CloneDVD and AnyDVD works like a charm I have been using this combo for over a year now
    They update them all the time too
    If you want to buy Software I would say this is the way to go 59 bucks from Slysoft.com
    If you want something thats FREE go with DVD Shrink
    Both work GREAT but I prefer Clone its faster

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2005
  20. BobTammik

BobTammik Member

Seems everyone has their favorite programs. I confess I am an ex user of DVD X COPY Platinum. In the end spending out $150 or so was a waste. Picture quality was poor especially copying episodic disks. I changed the DVD's I was buring to - I tried 1x 2x and 4x blanks - Princo, Maxell, TDK etc all with the same results. I changed my burner! Bought a new computer. Same poor quality.
    Then I found 1 Click DVD with DVD43 - fantastic. No problems at all - picture quality was fantastic (well very good).
    Now I use DVD shrink with Nero - again no problems.
    Recently I tried CloneDVD - while people tell me it is one of the best out there I must say failure rate for me was quite high. With Shrink and Nero I have not had a failed burn.....ever....