1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make all MP3 audio volume the same?

Discussion in 'General audio discussion' started by ZippyDSM, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

I got a ton of audio files from different formats converted to MP3 over the years but I am having issues with audio levels.Some songs are too loud some too soft, I have tried MP3gain and its not really helped.

I have applied MP3gain and set everything to 89 but a dozen files or so are either to loud or too soft, doing them one by one is driving me insane and frankly I am dealing with a copy of a copy of the archive as so I do not damage anything permanently and its getting annoying to add stuff or change my archive because of this.

Is there a better program than MP3gain that will equalize all the audio volume to be closer together?

A quick edit

I forgot to mention I also have an Itouch so I need to change the files themselves to balance out on it. It dose not bother me that much through the speakers but louder song on Itouch hurts. ><

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  2. Mez

Mez Active member

You need to use something itunes will use. It may ignore what MP3gain did and looks for metadata used by itunes. I wouldn't go to the effort of archiving your tunes. The audio is never touched. Instead there is metadata that tells the player how loud the music ought to be.

Didn't know you still used AD.

3. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

On and off I am here there and every but mostly on facebook I guess.

There is some stupid 30$ program that works with Icrap, MP3gain works but its not that great at evening out too low and too high files, same for sound check....

Still working on my craptactular book project too LOL
    https://www.patreon.com/ZippyDSMlee

4. Mez

Mez Active member

You might try
    http://www.kanssoftware.com/ it will normalize AAC files.

You might want to try dbPowerAmp and convert normalized mp3 files to AAC files and then use the utility that come along with it to inspect the metadata. dbPowerAmp is the premiere trans-coder and may translate the gain info. In widnoz explorer you hold the mouse arrow over the file and the metadata shows in a 'bubble'. If that works you can convert your library to aac. I would hold on to the mp3s. I wouldn't convert the aac back to mp3 since you will lose some fidelity. You may lose quality going to aac if the mp3s used variable compression. That utility will tell you what kind of compression your mp3s have. If they are VBR increase the bit rate for the aac up one notch to prevent loss.

Good luck!

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

audiocoder install or port & 32 or x64 versions,not saying it will work just a freebie to try,audacity could as well i suppose.Other option if nothing works separate into low & high pitch folders instead,i do mine by bitrate

6. Mez

Mez Active member

Scorp, the problem the 'Apple World' uses a tag with a different name and a different instruction set than the 'PC world'. Normalization doesn't modify the audio. All it does is leave some text instructions at a predesignated tag. The player looks for the tag then tries to follow the instructions. iTunes leaves its instructions a a tag named iTunNORM If you are playing your tune on an iPhone the instruction have to be there and be understood by itunes for the normalization to work. I bet Apple would sue any normalizer that put its instructions there. They want you to pay Apple to get an Apple made normalizer. Audacity does not normalize, it actually changes the volume so that would work. To modify the volume for 1,000 tunes would be a massive undertaking. I still suggest paying Apple for their normalizer. That is the only way to get the job done.

7. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Ah okay I will see what I can do I do not really want to spend 50$ on a crapple app since I am trying to change to android in a year or 2..... a galaxy note 2 or 3 a 4 is hell freezes over....

8. Mez

Mez Active member

As usual, Apple has you by the balls! I am also too cheap to fork over the cash. I just don't listen to music that is set too loud on my ipod. I have enough tunes not to miss the really loud ones. I did look into the problem in detail at least 5 yrs back amybe even 10 yrs back. I do have an andriod now and haven't gotten around to it normalizing that music. My main music listening device is my ipod but that may change when I get off my butt.

9. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Well i can not find a good one legged bandit version of Ivolume which seems to be the only itune compilable "normalization" software....... Mmmm its running for 29 now....... not this month...if it was 15$ I would get it now.... gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I assume MP3gain adjusted MP3's will work on android?

10. Mez

Mez Active member

It should. You never really know until actually you do it and it works.

11. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I would use ffmpeg and batch it up.. average the whole lot and screw crapple.. aha !!

12. Mez

Mez Active member

Yes, but you understand. Normalizing mp3 is trivial. you are only modifying tag info. Normalizing lossless is not. You are rewriting every data element in the file. If it screws up it is unlikely you can reverse the process. I tried to warn a fool about these issues but he was annoyed. He just wanted help installing the software. My rantings were above his level of expertise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.