1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a bootable xp disc????

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by skopas, Jan 10, 2005.

1. skopas

skopas Member

Im not sure if this is the right forum for this??? ...but I'll give a shot. I want to make a bootable setup xp disc. I'm trying to avoid using the 6 floppy scenerio thing. If anyone has a clus or has done it, i'd appreciate any feedback. thanks..skopas

2. daveski

daveski Member

im not really sure waht you're talking about with the floppies, but if you have a legit XP CD it is a bootable disk. as long as your pc supports bootable cds

3. skopas

skopas Member

thanks for response. I guess i should have said it is a copy of a xp disk. It doesnt have the bootable files on it. I tried to boot from it, but right to the desktop. I have the setup on 6 floppies which is required to have it run on boot up when prompted. But, it is a process. Maybe if someone knows how to exract the boot files from a bootable xp and place them on a non boot cd to make it run. Hope this makes senss,,,,,,,,skopas

4. daveski

daveski Member

did you set it to boot from CD in your system BIOS? if your hard drive is higher up on the list, it will never boot from the CD unless you change it. if the CD isn't bootable for some reason, i might be wrong, but i think you're screwed

5. skopas

skopas Member

lol...thanks for prompt response again. Yeah i changed the settings in bios to boot from cdrom. To no avail. I know there is a way. It just alot of renaming files here and there. I dont know what files exactly nor program...skopas

6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

if you would like to do this with nero 6 this may help to get you started .
    http://tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=297

also on that page you can download the bootfiles for use in making your xp disc bootable . hope this is what you are looking for .

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  7. skopas

skopas Member

Hey, dlc2000....excellent man...just what i was looking for. Greatly appreciate it. Thanks......skopas

8. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

no problem . thats what we are here for . glad to help you out .