1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a TV into a PC screen?????POssible???

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by PetahG, Aug 10, 2007.

1. PetahG

PetahG Guest

Hey AD visitors...
    I have a question. THis actually might not be the right place to ask but I dunno where to ask it...
    I would like to take a tv screen and make it into a PC screen..Is that possible? Because I see ads in the advertisemnents that say "PC Input" does it mean that u could use it as a computer screen?
    IF so
    ...would it be complicated to do?
    ...are there any disadvantages or advantages? (ex.disorted image or bad quality image)
    ...Would I still be able to watch tv on there???say cable?
    THnx for any answers given

2. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Yes, 100% you can do that.

When a display or TV lists "PC input" as a specification that usually means it has a VGA connection. So you can use your standard monitor connection to connect your PC to your TV.

Depending on what graphics card you have in many cases you don't even need this as some cards supply a s-video connection. Some newer high end cards are now including HDMI connections too.

You will certainly be able to still watch cable, DVD's etc. with your PC hooked up to your TV as long as there are available AV connections. Most TV's have at least 3 and some of the higher end displays (LCD/Plasma) can have 6 or more AV channels.

As far as image quality goes, well that all depends on the display used. If you are using a regular CRT (tube driven TV) some of the finer images a PC can output can be a little hard to see. I have my PC connected via DVI to a 46" full HD Sharp Aquos and it looks superb as you would certainly expect.

I hope that helps to answer your question, please feel free to ask any more questions that you might have.

3. CoolGuy11

CoolGuy11 Member

Hey..this is actually PetahG but i've been banned for a week so I can't respond. BUt yes..the information u gave me was very helpful..so basically if I get like an LCD tv than I should have the same quality of the display on the tv as I would on an actual computer screen????
    THnx in advance

4. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Hmmm... It is hard to give a generalised answer.

First it would depend on the pixel resolution of the LCD screen. LCD's start at 852 x 480, which is lower than most PC monitors. If you get a HD (1366 x 768) or Full HD (1920 x 1080) LCD then you should be fine, but other factors could also influence the quality of the display... Contrast, response time etc.

If you can go with a better brand then I would recommend that you do so.

The best quality LCD's are Sharp, followed by either Samsung or Sony.