1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making copies with a Double Layer Burner

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by donwid, Oct 25, 2004.

1. donwid

donwid Member

Hey Everyone,
    I have a DVD +/- RW with double layer write capability. The computer came with the Sonic RecordNow software. I am wanting to make backups my my DVD's, but of course the encryption doesnt make it straight forward.

I want to be able to put the DVD in the ROM and make a copy as easily as possible. I was reading about AnyDVD, and from how I read how it works I should be able to put the DVD and and be able to begin burning. Is this correct? Because I have a double layer burner, do I have to worry about compressing the DVD beforing burning or does the double layer allow a longer movie to completely fit on a DVD-5?

Because I am new to this and I maybe overlooking something? Thanks for any thoughts you have.

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Anydvd needs to be running in the background at the same time as you are using your copy software otherwise it wont bypass the copy protection mechanisms

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If you are using single layer dvd 5 blanks, then you still have to rip and compress the dvd movie to your HD first. If you are using dual layer blanks then you possibly could burn on the fly as you are suggesting but its not the safest way to go since the dual layer blanks cost $10. to $15. each. It would still be better to copy to the HD first to be on the safe side.

Jerry

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

once you have it on your hard drive you can use shrink dvd to burn it back.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

donwid,

If you are burning dual layer media, all you need is DVD Decrypter(free) as long as you don't exceed 8.5 gigs. Open Decrypter and use read and write in ISO mode. This method is just as fast as burning on the fly.

Rip to the HD and make sure you know where you're ripping to(create a folder if you like and put it where you can find it) and then burn to your dual layer media by browsing to the folder you ripped to. You must use ISO mode cos that's all decrypter burns.

With this method there is no need for AnyDvd. If you are using DVD 5 media, you will have to use another app, since decrypter doesn't edit or compress. Shrink works for this (free) and you still don't need AnyDvd.

AnyDvd does work well for "on the fly" burning and you use it with apps that don't have ripping capabilities such as Nero recode, IC 8, DVD Copy2, etc.

Hope this clears things up a little.

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

THANX YOU GUYZ

I AM CONSIDERING A Nec nd-3500A as an adittion to my system already have a NEC ND-2500A . but I like the concept of faster burning and dual layer recording that the ND-3500A provides over the 2500A. The 2500A has'nt failed me as long as I use decent media & is super quiet whilst running. you all answered my question about dual layer recording thanx. I use either dvd decrypter & or dvd shrink to do my single layer backups with roxio Easy CD& DVD creator platinum ver, # 6 for buring duties + dvd builder ect. And it occured to me that EASY CD & DVD CREATOR 6 PLATINUM might not be compatible with dual layer burning ? According to Roxio it isn't but version 7 is. So to use Roxio I would have to upgrade for a fourth time which I did'nt want to do unless I had no choice. So I guess I can use decrypter as long as my original dvd is not above the limits right? Also I bought some Verbatim 4X DVD+r disc the type that look like movie reels on the label surface . They were 5 qty. for $5.88 + tax At wal mart I have used verbatim cdr's and found them excellent and I have seen good reports on Verbatim Dvd media in the forums & on the net are these good disc ? dvd identifier shows them as mcc coded. has anyone used these and what was your opinion of them? sorry to runaway at the keyboard guys thanx again for the help & friendship
    peace on earth goodwill towards men & women too buy now

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hmmm...Yep, verbatim is good stuff, MCC is Mitsibishi and it's good stuff too.

On the Roxio I wouldn't upgrade, Go with Decrypter and shrink, both are free and both are dual layered capable, and shrink does a better job than Roxio IMHO.

Shrink also burns with Nero or decrypter or copy to dvd automatically, but Roxio and Nero hate each other. Roxio will cause problems with Nero installed, in fact Roxio doesn't like other DVD software period, but especially Nero.

Soooo, as you can see, I'm not a big fan of Roxio, but you needn't buy more software, cos with shrink and decrypter added to what you have you're OK.

If you should like to try nero it's free for as long as you want to use it. You must load and install it each and every month and it's good for the entire month.

It has tons of audio and video programs, and works well with shrink. You might or might not have to uninstall your roxio tho, to try it, as I said, they don't get along.

Good luck :>)

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]So I guess I can use decrypter as long as my original dvd is not above the limits right?[/bold]

Sorry, forgot, LOL

Yes you can, and if it is over 8.5 you can use shrink, which is still free and handles dual layer and you're still OK, OK? ;>)

9. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Yo ! there Big orange
    thanks for updating me on the dual layer recording issues. I already have & use DVD DECRYPTER & DVD SHRINK for my backups although I tend to use shrink more than decrypter to to the file size of my original disk . I have tried nero before and although it probably gives one more control and features than roxio's program I did'nt find it enough of an improvement over roxio for me to dump what I already had. I 'm not knocking it , most of the audiots & vidiots seem to prefer nero and rate it highly it's just not my thing . I know about nero and roxio on same system they fight but have done it before. I'll probably not do too many dual layer backups until the media price comes down some more but hey I'll have the option anyway! Again Big orange & friends thank you - & a peacefull and joyuous holiday season to you and yours - bigtoxy69

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Your welcome :>)