1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making drive region free

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by shane2006, May 1, 2007.

1. shane2006

shane2006 Member

Hi guys,

How do I go about making my DVD Drive region free.

I have DVD decrypter, but when trying to copy a certain series that I own it stops at 40% unlike other DVDs I have copied. I have cleaned the DVD thoroughly, but the same happens again.

Is this the same problem? Or am I talking about 2 seperate things?

I've read that firmware is better than using software, is this true?

The DVD burner I have is LG-GSAH22N.

I really appreciate your advice

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

you are talking about 2 differnt things!

1. you can change the region of your drive in Windows......right click on MY COMPUTER.......select PROPERTIES/HARDWARE/DEVICE MANAGER/select your DVD drive and right click on that to PROPERTIES/DVD REGION. But, you have a limited amount of times you can switch your drive to a different region. If you want region free then you need a firmware hack to make it region free.
    2. DVDDecrypter can make the DVD you are copying REGION FREE..... but it's not updated anymore so it will have trouble copying newer DVDs and that's why you might be having problems. try DVDFab HD Decrypter:
    http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm USE THE BETA VERSION

I think you're getting mixed up. Firmware is programming that is inserted into a programmable memory area of your drive, thus becoming a permanent part of a drive. This 'software' is called firmware and can be updated with a firmware flasher. A firmware upgrade can add new functionality to your drive. Also bug fixes and improvements are done by firmware upgrades. It also adds more media codes and write strategies to the drive to improve burning capabilities and disk recognition. Doing a firmware upgrade should only improve your drive.

You need software to rip, transcode, and burn using your drive. without software you might as well not have a burner! LOL

here is how you can find out if your drive has the most updated firmware...... since you have DVD Decrypter then do this:
    [​IMG]

and here are some guides:
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/Guides.htm

3. shane2006

shane2006 Member

Thanks a lot mate, you're a huge help!!!

My drive is set to the right region, but the dvds im trying to copy are from a different region. Should i change my drive to a different region to copy these dvds? In DVDshrink it says I can only change region 5 times, what happens after this 5 times?

The dvds I'm trying to copy are from 2001.

Thanks again for your help

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

[​IMG]
    that answers what happens after you change your regions to it's limits!

DVDDecrypter or DVDFab HD Decrypter should set the ripped DVD files to your region! so no changing of regions is necessary. And the DVDs from 2001 should be able to rip with DVDDecrypter.... unless there is something wrong with the disks like being dirty or scratched or damaged because of misuse or mishandling. check this out then:
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/petesguide9.html

good luck and welcome to afterdawn.