1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making DVD-R on RD-XS32 from HBO/Cinemax

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by andrew903, Oct 28, 2004.

1. andrew903

andrew903 Member

I just purchased the Toshiba RD-XS32, and I know about the copy protection from HBO, where you cannot record to HDD then make a DVD-video after that.

However is it possible ot go straight to DVD and create a DVD-video capable of being played in other DVD players?

Also is it possible to put two hour long programs on the DVD then finalize and create a DVD-video?

Thank you for your help.

2. BobP

BobP Member

Not that I can find. That would defeat the copy protection and since Toshiba was one of the original 4 companies to invent it I wouldn't expect it. On page 9 of my manual under DVD-R disks it explains why not and gives the name of the protection (CPRM). You could do a google on it and maybe find more information.

When I looked most of the information on it was for HardDrives on Computers so good luck. I saw someone on another site (not afterdawn but don't remember where sorry) that I posted a question to that suggested that a new type of "Video Stabilizer" might let you copy them if you put it between the Cable box and the Toshiba but the one I purchased didn't work.

That was when I switched to a PVR on a PC and SageTV software to record. It has an integrated program guide and the PVR cards don't pay attention to the copy protection signal so recording HBO is possible. I think the quality is just as good but that is a personal preference.

As a side note so far OuterMAX doesn't have the signal so if you get that CineMAX channel you can record from it - so far at least.

BobP.