1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making DVDs playable on 'DVD Video'-only machine

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Wilber1, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Wilber1

Wilber1 Member

I think the answer might be no, but if my home player's manual states that for DVD's it plays only "DVD Video" can I record a DVD+RW or DVD-RW or DVD-R to 'look' like a DVD Video to the machine?

Thank you, probably a basic question but I'm new to this! I have checked the posts & guides but can't find this question.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

The answer is indeed no, at least in a physical sense. The reason being is that factory discs are pressed from a master and not burned so for home users there's no way to make them exactly like factory discs.

The good news is that many standalone players handle burned media just fine even though it isn't listed in their specs and the file structures that a DVD player looks for are easily reproduced with copying software :)

3. Wilber1

Wilber1 Member

I've got DVD Cloner 2 and tried it once but it only plays back on my PC, is there a particular application (or settings) that will almost definitely work on a DVD-Video player?

Thanks.

4. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

The problem is not the software or settings but rather the media -+R,RW you are using on your player.
    right, how old is your dvd player? did your burn to a Dvd-R or -RW?... most older players will not read -RW format... also what brand media are you using? Older dvd players hate cheapo (bulkpaq,mirror etc) media and will mostly give a Disk Error when trying to read them.

5. castiljd

castiljd Member

I've never had any problem with my dvd players that didn't specify dvd-r+r etc. If it is old then it probably won't play. You can see if they will play on a friends player to see. Maybe it is the media, burner, didn't burn correctly or anything. If it works then you atleast know you burned it correctly. I had a few players that wouldn't play my dvd's. I then set it to record the region instead of region free and it now plays them.