1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

making personal copies of our hd discs

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by siggy21, Apr 6, 2006.

1. siggy21

siggy21 Guest

i was wondering if we will continue to make copies of our collection dvd's once the hd and bluray movies are released? i am currently using dvdfab, will we be able to use these and other software to rip and burn????

2. mattkind

mattkind Regular member

i was wondering the same . i think we can still use Dvd shrink , of course we will have to use DL disks , i dont know thats just me .

3. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

Once they sell HD/blueray drives for PC capable of burning the discs dvdshrink will be of no use unless someone decides to further the project and modify the crap out of it. These disc's will have huge protection systems built in, and will take ages to crack. And to copy them to DL discs would take a lot of media flag changing and stuff. So all in all it will take a long time before there is a reliable way of backing these up

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

from what I understand by reading this: http://www.bitburners.com/High_Definition_DVD_FAQ/#faq313
    the HD/Blue-Ray disk will have keys that open up the software to play the disk! when or if the key has been hacked or made public the manufactures can recall the key and set it to a different key for further publication of the disk! And the players won't be able to play the NEWER disk that has changed the key! Read the article and find out..... the newer technology is going to be tougher if not imposible to break easily! Sooooooo if they discontinue DVDs we are all in the same boat! No more backups!~

5. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Surely they won't discontinue DVDs for quite a while. I would say by the time they quit making DVDs and HD-DVD or Blu-Ray is the main format there will be a way to back it up.

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@spenman.....why would you read such old threads..... you really dug one up! LOL hahahahaha good for you..... learn learn learn....... and I agree with you..... DVDs will be here for decades to come. Not to worry.... I don't see it falling to the waisteland unless they make Blue-Ray or HD-DVDs very cost effective and a major improvement in quality!

7. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Well, I do go through alot of threads and just read them when I'm bored, but I was looking for something and there wasnt that many threads in this section so I decided to just go through them all insted of searching, (that would have been way too easy). I guess I didn't realize how old this thread was, lol.