1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making regular TV into a big screen

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by PupDog44, Sep 10, 2004.

1. PupDog44

PupDog44 Regular member

Has anyone ever heard of this..i came across it on the internet and wondered if it was a scam or didnt work. Check out this webpage http://www.maxtheater.com/index.html
    It says with their product you can make any tv a big screen. Any info will be helpful..thanks

2. kadlet51

kadlet51 Member

It is not a scam per say. It works...just not to well. From what I have learned about these kits is that you lose a lot of quality and will experience some distortion. I wouldn't recommend going this route.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You can get it cheaper on Ebay. You have to go and buy parts from a DIY store to make a box unit etc. All they will send you is a fesnel lens (bit like the mirror extensions on the back of buses). Also, note that the image will be projected in reverse, left will be right and right will be left.

I also wouldnt really recommend this route as a solution to a big screen problem...

4. PupDog44

PupDog44 Regular member

Yeah i really didnt believe in the idea to much anyways...thanks for the info though.

5. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Think about this logically, if you were to enlarge an image fitted to display on a television, whose screen is somewhere around 420x560, it wouldnt look that preety; if you know what i mean. I would just stick to a multimedia projector, for arounf 800-1200.

6. TATTOOZIT

TATTOOZIT Member

Yeah, i actually bought one and went throught the whole process of building the kit and all, long story short, i bought a dell 2200 and it was the best thing i did. its low end but on my budget it rocks!!! home theaters rule!

toozit

7. pidwilli

pidwilli Member

ebay item here....all you need to watch big screen...

*Removed By Mod - No Free Advertising*

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  8. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

The size of the screen is kinda of small, though i really dont know how big the picture can be i can say is that a projector would offer higher quality at a higher resolution.

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

@pidwilli
    If you haven't already read the rules you can find a link to them in my signature. I'm referring specifically to this one:

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi everyone,

Back to the original post here. I actually did this well I didnt buy it but my buddie had recieved it along with some other stuff on a CD he bought on ebay.

It actually works pretty good (Not great just good)

Anyway we built one with an old 13" TV and projected it on a screen about 70". There really isnt anything to it. Some Cardboard, Black tape or paint, amd a fesnel lens. It all cost about $20 at the hardware store. We made this thing in Iraq while we were stationed over there so our whole company could watch movies it was pretty cool. Also it dosent project in reverse well not the explained earlier. It actually plays it upside down so you have to flip the TV over upside down for it to show right side up on the screen. Just thought I would let you know we did it and it actually worked. I will see if he still has that disk with the instructions and post later if anyone is interested?

[​IMG]