1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

making VCD using Windows Movie Maker

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by kayjamal, Aug 26, 2003.

1. kayjamal

kayjamal Member

I use moviemaker(V2.0) software to edit & make a movie (VCD). The software downloads the movie and stores it as a *.wmv file. Then we need to edit and store it as *.avi file. Then the *.avi file will be burnt to VCD using NERO. Is it the right way??? It takes so much time and it is not clear also. Is there anyway around?

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Thats a lot of unecessary steps youve been taking man. hehehe.

It would be easier on you if you skipped a conversion. If you're doing a dvd rip, i suggest doing it this way:

Dvd--->DVDx

If youre converting avi to vcd:

avi--->virtualdub(mod)--->TMPGEnc__X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is but a dream...so wake me up already!!![/small]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2003
  3. kayjamal

kayjamal Member

It is not clear..Could u please tell me which part I ‘ve to skip? And Do I have to convert *.avi into mpeg using TMPGenc?

What is virtualtub? pl..explain
    Thanks a lot

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Ok 1 question:

Did you download this movie off of the internet?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is but a dream...so wake me up already!!![/small]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  5. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

EDIT:

Double Post._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is but a dream...so wake me up already!!![/small]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  6. kayjamal

kayjamal Member

No. I downloaded from my DV Camera(using firewire cable). Window moviemaker downloads it. I tried in two ways.
    1. I stored it as *.avi file, after editing the file. And then burnt it onto VCD. This video quality is not good.

2. I stored it as *.wmv file and played it windows. The picture quality is very good. But I could not convert it as *.mpeg file to burn it onto a VCD.

This is my problem. Pl..help me out...Thanks

7. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Well, I have zero experience with DV cameras so I dont think I can really help you with any troubleshooting you might need.

Maybe someone with more knowledge about this will reply or you can try posting your question at the divx forums:
    http://forums.divx.com/

Last edited: Aug 30, 2003
  8. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

If i understand correctly, you have a WMV/AVI file that you wish to encode into a format that you can play on your standalone DVD player. The basic idea is:
    1. Get the data off your DV camcorder onto your computer (whether it be WMV or AVI format, AVI is preferred)
    2. In either case convert the file (if need be to AVI) and encode as an SVCD

There are only two reasons you would need to convert to AVI
    1. You want to do transitions and editiing and blah blah blah
    2. TMPGEnc cant handle WMV because of a ASF format audio patent issue (i can't remember if TMPGEnc can handle WMV or not hence this is just a possibility)

Assuming that TMPGEnc does not throw a hissy fit about the ASF audio codec (and consequently, not allow you to open the WMV file):
    - Just drag and drop the WMV file onto TMPGEnc, goto the File menu and select Output to File --> AVI. Make sure you specify a video/audio codec otherwise you will have gargantuan files hehe (i.e., DivX/Xvid, the audio codec isnt so neccesary).
    - Another way to do it is, drag and drop onto VirtualDub 1.54 ( http://www.virtualdub.org ) and do the following: (1) Video --> Fast Recompress (2) Video --> Compression --> DivX/XviD --> Specify a decent bitrate, (3) Audio --> Full Processing, (4) Audio --> Compression --> Select Codec. Dont do step 3, 4 if you dont need/want to compress the audio. (5) File --> Save as AVI --> Specify a destination
    If you do get the Microsoft Patent doohicky, find yourself a copy of VirtualDub 1.3c and do the same deal as in VirtualDub 1.54

Once you are done all the editing and stuff you need to do and want to burn as a SVCD (which has a higher quality than VCD):
    1. Start up TMPGEnc
    2. If the Wizard doesnt pop up automatically, press CTRL+W
    3. Select SVCD (PAL/NTSC/NTSC Film) and follow the wizard
    4. TMPGEnc will output a MPG/MPEG file. Goto Nero or something and burn a Super VideoCD using this file._X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2003
  9. peteryeh

peteryeh Member

Hi kayjamal,

How is your result? Could you share with experiences for VCD which you could play it on a standalone DVD machine? Thanks.

-Peter

Last edited: Sep 10, 2003
  10. mjuliaoi

mjuliaoi Guest

is there another program like movie maker but more profesional and with better quality, that can be used to create and edit videos

11. kayjamal

kayjamal Member

Hi peteryeh

I saved the video in *.wmv format using windows movie maker and then edited the videos. And saved the video in the same format (I feel the quality of *.wmv format is good) and converted those files into *.mpg (using TMPGenc) and burnt (NERO) it onto a VCD. It works fine. But the quality of *.wmv file is better than *.mpg file.

Hi mjuliaoi

For downloading and editing , there is another software called ‘ULEAD Visual Studio’. But I ‘ve not used it

12. delunaja

delunaja Guest

How I do it (WMV to VCD conversion)
    1. I perform editing in MovieMaker2
    2. I use ULEAD VideoStudio7 to render WMV file into VCD or DVD format.

***Note: Make sure that settings in WMV format is the same when rendering to VCD/DVD format (e.g. PAL/NTSC settings).

You cannot compare the quality of WMV files to a VCD file since WMVs are just meant for PC-monitor viewing. Once you render it to a VCD format for playing into standalone VCD players (normally MPEG-1 codec), quality is dowgraded right away. You'll have to read more about video rendering to understand this concept. If you're really after good audio/video quality, then use DVD format (MPEG-2 codec). DivX format is also worthwhile to consider since standalone DivX players are already available in the market.

13. derektom

derektom Guest

kayjamal, what program did you use to convert the WMV
    file from Windows Movie Maker 2.0 to MPEG-1?
    TMPGEnc? As far as I know, TMPGEnc only reads MPEG
    and AVI formats.

I think you can get better quality video by importing your
    video into Windows Movie Maker in AVI format, although
    you'd need much more hard disk space.

Too bad Windows Movie Maker can't just save the movie
    to VCD-compliant MPEG-1 format. Or better yet, directly
    burn a VCD.

Cheers,
    Derek

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2003