1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Many files broken/corrupt after windows re-install....need help!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by DaForce, Mar 26, 2005.

1. l34merik

l34merik Regular member

Oh, seems you were lucky. When I reinstalled my windows, I burned everything to dvds with sonic dla or something like that. Just to tell everyone never use sonic dla to back up your stuff. I works on cds but doesn't on dvds, it just gets corrupt. I lost everything that I had aquire after a whole year of getting it. I've even tried isobuster and all those programs but it doesn't work. Does your program work and does it have a free trial period?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the program works as i downloaded a trial version of it & able to see almost 4 gigs of info on the wrong ghosted hd. got the full blown copy from a friend of mine & retrieved all the data but setup as folders

3. DaForce

DaForce Member

geo7mm08:
    Thats a damn shame, pretty slack. "Right if you could just put your laptop thru this scanner, and it will probabaly erase everything and we will have a good laugh over it."
    Good to know that getdataback did the job for you!! Im going to try it later on today, and will hopefully have atleast as much success as yourself. Anything i should be aware of when using it?

ddp:
    Thanks for the heads up, might give that a shot if getdataback doesnt work.

4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

how on earth did a IPOD problem come into this. Some people are going to get confused. I would sugest starting a new thread for the IPOD. Thats just me.

-Del

5. ddp

he did have a problem with his files that were corrupted which this thread is about!!

6. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I agree with that ddp. The problem is that now we have 2 completly different conversations going on that no longer relate to one another. This could confuse a buch of people. Thats all I was saying. Im used to stuff like that in chat rooms but not all people would be able to filter it out if they are trying to use this thread for help.

-Del

7. DaForce

DaForce Member

I was wondering if any of you chaps new if by using getdataback or easyrecovery, is it like a once only use. Like once i get some files of the drive using getdataback can i then try to use easyrecovery??

Like are the programs of the non-destructive type. SO that even after running them the cactus drive is still in the same state is was before they were run.

Reason i ask is i want to try a few program and see which one gets the best result. ( I will be buying a new 200gb HDD for the purpose but then selling it to a mate afterwards as he needs a new HDD)

8. ddp

i think you should be able to use different programs with no problems as easyrecovery puts the lost files into folders on another drive so the messed up drive is not touched

9. DaForce

DaForce Member

awesome, and im pretty sure thats how getdataback works as well.

Will update in a few days :)

Wish me luck!

10. DaForce

DaForce Member

I would like to get a few peoples opinions on something that i noticed in 2 data recovery programs. I havent actually had the time to run either of them yet, and I dont want to until i get an idea as to what is cause this current use.

In short both Getdataback and EasyRecovery are seeing the 200gb drive as a 128gb drive, but with a 198gb partition on it!!! Any ideas as to why this is happening. Window2k is update to SP4 so it knows how to deal with 200gb drive, i guess something got change somewhere when win2k first booted without the service pack. Any ideas?

Program screen shots below.

[bold]Getdataback[/bold]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[bold]Easyrecovery[/bold]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  11. DaForce

DaForce Member

ooookay...so noone has any idea on how to fix this?

12. ddp

i just finished fdisking & formating a 160gig hd. i partitioned the drive into 2, a 40gig & a 120gig. when formating the 40 was seen as 28 & the 120 as 49gig but windows saw the as 38.9gig & 119gig

13. DaForce

DaForce Member

hmmm, all my other 200's which are on a IDE controller show up fine tho.

I guess my questions is my answer, i should just put the drive onto the IDE controller and see what happens.

Cause now im not sure if the recovery programs will work so well, as that drive i think was pretty fragmented.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  14. ddp

you'll probably have to pull the info onto anther drive like i did the reformat the messed up drive

15. DaForce

DaForce Member

you used easyrecovery hey. Did it work well?

Was your cactus drive very fragmented when you tried to recover the data?

16. ddp

got all the info which i needed but had to reformat the drive, load windows on to it than copy & paste the info from 1 drive to the other