1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marking DVDs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by RonR, Jun 14, 2004.

1. RonR

RonR Member

OK, I'm starting to get a pile of good DVDs, so many that I'm forgetting what's on which.

I understand that stick-on paper lables are NOT a good idea for these discs. So far, I've used a felt pen to mark a disc number on the hub of some discs, and this seems to work ok. What I'd like to hear about is, have any of you here used the felt pens on the backs of the discs? I lknow there are "special" pens for CDs -- are they needed or does any soft tip felt pen work?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hiya,

Wise move staying away from the sticky labels. I, and many others here, use Sharpie markers to label our discs with no ill effect. Much of the "markers are bad" theory stemmed from using them on CDs which are made with the reflective layer lying on top unprotected and some of the more acidic inks supposedly degraded the reflective layer which in turn caused problems.

DVDs on the other hand have two layers of coatings over the reflective layer so markers won't have any effect on them. Here's a very informative link on the subject of DVD construction:

http://www.videointerchange.com/dvd.htm#DVD

Enjoy :)

3. RonR

RonR Member

Thanks for the link and the help.

Felt tip pens seem worth a try.

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Go with the pens......

Making backups of movies you own - should really be no frills - cannot see the point of backing up a movie you own, and putting on all the bells and whistles - after all it is just a backup - the most important thing is to be able to read the data/play it and not how it looks - labels can cause bad reads....just my opinion - each to their own I suppose......

5. Nephilim

Me neither.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  6. Yordan

Yordan Guest

I agree with the above but still like my back ups to be recognized straight away and they all have sticky lables on them with no ill effect so far. Fingers crossed.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yes, each to their own preferances....

Lots of people have had good success with labels on the dvd's, but more have had bad experiences.....

Best way is to make sure you have a good solid burning method that works and is fully tested with the type of media you are using, then experiment with labels to see if they take ok - that way if it doesn't - you know it's the labels that is screwing the balance up..............

8. Frozilla

Frozilla Member

Stick with the good ole sharpie. Cheaper thn ;labels too.

9. skenzer

skenzer Member

Cost wise, a sharpie is great. Looks wise, you can't hardly beat a label or even printable DVD media. Too much fuss is made of labels on DVD's. Those that state they will ahsoutely RUIN your dvd and player are wrong! (unless of course you are a retard and use the wrong kind of label, bad quality labels or don't know how to stick a label on a disc to begin with....like eyeballing it.)
    I've used labels on my dvd's for a LONG time with perfect results. Even DVD's that I play over and over again have not failed me. Check out Neato.com and ask them what research has gone into their labels and how they may effect DVD and CD media...interesting what they have to say.

10. Nephilim

Maybe you're the retard for thinking just because it works for you it will work for everyone.

11. RyanZ06

RyanZ06 Guest

I use pens, cheap and easy :)

12. skenzer

skenzer Member

Nephilim,
    First, your response pertty much shows your ignorance. Obviously I've touch a nerve because you are one of the people that buy into the "bad label" thing. To each their own. Use your marker or whatever it is you use and be happy. If you noticed in my original message I made no reference to people being "retards" because they use other marking tools....just to the people that don't know how or what kind of labels to use. Are you one of those people?

13. skenzer

skenzer Member

RyanZ06
    Careful with the pens my friend. Too much pressure applied to the surface of the DVD or CD can cause data damage.....I've seen it before.

14. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

I personally use a Laundry marker, those felt tip markers made for marking socks, tshirts etc. Ink has yet to 'eat' thru to the data side of the disc, the ink hasnt smeared yet and if I happen to screw up the name of the movie or whatever I can always wipe it off and fix it ;)

15. skenzer

skenzer Member

Aren't those laundry markers made of wax?

16. Nephilim

Really? And you don't think that because labels work for you the many, many people who solved their playback probelms by ditching labels are dreaming it up? Answer me that.

How exactly can a felt tip marker manage to get through a polymer layer and then a laquer layer to damage the reflective layer on a DVD? CDs and DVDs are made differently.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  17. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

Nope not that Ive seen or can tell. why would a marker be made outta wax? wouldnt the wax fall off in the washer and / or wind up melting in your dyer? {chuckles}

Nephilim , I think he's referring to ballpoint pens maybe? if someone is dense enuff to be writing on their DVD/CD with a ballpoint pen well thats on them. I agree w/ you on how in the world can a felttip marker damage a DVD/CD? there's no hard tip/point on it to carve thru to the otherside!

18. Nephilim

Good Lord! Never heard of that before :)

19. skenzer

skenzer Member

Nephilim
    The only two purposes I can tell so far that you serve to this group is
    A) being an idiot and causing fights with everybody.
    B) showing us how little you know.

So if that's your sole purpose of being here...great job!

20. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Now Now skenzer, no need to continue with this........

I am not taking sides, but this is NOT the place for having an argument, and I think posting your recent comments is totally unsubstantiated...............

Nephilim is a valued member - as you can see by his status, and contrary to your belief his contributions to newbies and other members alike have been most commendable.

You both have expressed AN OPINION, as we have a right to free speech, this should not be construed into the right to bitch about one another, and who is right and wrong...........

Nephilim has his opinion and you have yours, you have had great success with labels - Excellent, I am well pleased for you...........if you do a search you will find that many more have not had success........period.......

But it does not mean it will work for everyone, every PC setup is different, and with sooooooooo many shite types of media going around - adding layers to them can only make them worse - if they are bad to begin with........

Keep the peace chaps........................