1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matrix Chip Problems

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Bills, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Bills

Bills Member

Hello everyone, I am first time poster, long time reader. The reason I am posting is because I've recently hit a snag with my matrix chip. I flashed the D6 Blue bios w/eject fix (which seems to be working because I haven't had any problems with eject) and used XIso to create the boot disk. However, everytime I insert the boot disk the box won't read it. I've tried 2 different types of Sony CDRW's and a Memorex CDRW. It's getting to the point where I want to throw the xbox out my window. Can someone please help me, maybe some pointers? Thanks in advance.
    Bills fan

Last edited: Aug 5, 2003
  2. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

Can you tell us what make of DVD drive you have as some are more picky than others.

Also, when the XBOX boots up do you get any extra writing below the 'X' symbol? (i.e. are you sure the Chip is installed properly)

3. Bills

Bills Member

What I can tell you is that the chip is green when the xbox is on. I don't see any extra writing underneath the symbol. As for the make of the DVD drive, where am I supposed to look to see?

4. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

ok, before you launch it out the window, lets find out what you're trying to do. has it worked before? do you get the blue X when the system boots? if there is a game in the drive it will say microsoft on the boot screen, without a game it should say "matrix inside". what boot disc are you trying to use? what mode is the chip in? it sounds like a simple issue but there are variables which need to be determined before a solution can be reached.

5. Bills

Bills Member

Darthnip, I do not see a blue X or "matrix inside" when I boot up the Xbox, even though the chip was flashing green. I have the chip in mode 2 now, but while putting it in the box it was mode 1. As for the boot disc, it is Evolution X v1.8 458.

6. darthnip

ok, i'm assuming you flashed the chip prior to installing it in the xbox, if not, take it out and flash it with the programmer that came with it. the mode doesn't matter when flashing with the programmer. ok, depending on whcih version of motherboard you have, you cant always count on the LED being accurate on the box. i know it says to line it up in mode 1 when aligning it, this doesn't always work, i use mode 2 and with newer boards i get a split second of green flash then it goes to flashing red, thats ok, as long as you get that first flash of green it should be fine. you can hook up the power and video cables to the TV and if the bios and the alignment are good on the xbox, you'll get the blue x o nthe screen, the HDD and dvdrom doesn't have to be hooked up to do this. there was one guy that had a chip with broken LED's and this was his only option. i tend to do it this way myself just because you cant always count on the LED's for alignment like you could with the first xbox motherboards. so you are either not lined up right, or a few of the pins is not making good contact, or the chip was not flashed correctly. I would open the box back up, take out the drives, plug in the video cable and turn on the TV and use the TV as your alignment indicator instead of the LED's it might also be that the chip is just not cranked down tight enough. if you happen to strip the mounting screw, a #4x1/2" panhead screw works fine and it lets you get more "bite" into the plastic stand-off so you can get the chip nice and tight. you wouldn't happen to have a newer motherboard would you? is there solder in the holes under where the chip mounts, or is it just 2 rows of holes thru the motherboard? if it's holes, you'll need to fill them with solder, i wrote a small guide for this in the "user submitted guides" section of the forum. ok, let me know where we're at and we'll go from there.

7. Bills

Bills Member

I know that I have a v 1.0 xbox so I don't think I need to solder. The chip is very tight so I don't think that's the problem (I haven't stripped the screw). I will try using the TV as the indicator and I will get back to you. Thanks dude.

8. Dank

Dank Regular member

darthnip that was me with the LED probs... Easybuy shipped me a matrix with the LEDs broken.. had to align it with no lights.. that was a bitch.. but now i can line up a matrix in mode 2 in like 30 secs.. it seems to almost pop into place.. u may try slightly pushing down on the chip to see if ur getting a good connection..

OHHH!! i just read ur post.. fusking erase xISO off your computer and never speak its name again.. thats ur problem with the disks.. use GDFImage to make your iso... xISO is the root of all evil

9. darthnip

yeah i was pretty sure that was you but not positive. the chips are geting easier and easier to line up for me, i had 1 the other day that i got right off the bat, it was cool. no fuss no muss.
    I also like craxtion for making the iso, nice proggie.