1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Max number of games on a modded Xbox?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Hueydude, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Hueydude

Hueydude Member

I am setting up a hard modded Xbox for a friend. He's got a 500gb HD in it but I seem to max out at 128 games. Is there a limit or am I doing something wrong? It's not a space issue as the drive is barely half full. When I add another game, one that is already on there has all it's files deleted (the directory stays put). Does anyone have any suggestions (aside from sticking with 128 games) :cool:

Thanks!

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Are you sure you've enabled the extra space? You'll need a G:\

3. Hueydude

Hueydude Member

There is a G but it's not accessible. That's the same as my system too and I am using my entire 250gb. There is over 100 gig left on the F drive. From totaling up the games using Quix there is over 250GB on the drive already.

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You should be able to use the G:\

The Xbox will freak out as you've found without it!

My HDD upgrade tutorial will show you how to enable a G:\

5. Hueydude

Hueydude Member

Using the Evox Dash I formatted the G but it really seemed as nothing happened. Nothing changed either. Is there another step?

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You need UnleashX to format the G:\ correctly!

Can you copy games to the G:\ ?

7. Hueydude

Hueydude Member

My bad, I DID use UnleashX. It didn't do a thing. I talked to the guy who modded it and he said that a new bios that's installed makes it unnecessary. I am seeing the entire 500 gig (400 for F) and there is over 100gig free on F. I just seem to be limited on the number of directories I can use or make. I tried copying the games to the video directory and that works fine but of course I can not play them from there. He suggested making a second game folder and changing the ini files but any folders I make don't let me copy files to them. I checked the attributes and it all seems ok.

8. Hueydude

Hueydude Member

Well I figured it out. For some reason this system has a limit of 128 directories in the F:\Games folder. If I tried to make a folder it would not let me copy files to it. I renamed one of the existing folders to "action", modified the dashboard files to search for it, and copied more games into the "action" folder. Quite the pain but it works.

9. Hueydude

Hueydude Member

Well maybe not. Seems it was secretly deleting other directories. Obviously 128 is the limit. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I guess I am going to redo it and partition the drive into the F and G to combat this.

10. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

you need to update your bios. Which one is on the modchip right now? which xbox version?

11. Hueydude

Hueydude Member

The Xbox is a 1.6 and the Bios is M8.(I am pretty sure on the Bios)

12. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

you should update the bios to Evox M8+ then reformat F drive. YOu will see all the space on HDD

13. Hueydude

Hueydude Member

I see all the space and can theoretically use it all. The problem is the number of games directories. It seems to hit a wall at 128 games. After 128 are there, any future ones will install fine, but, as they are, another directory will become empty.

14. Hueydude

Hueydude Member

OK. New conspiracy theory. Actually I think I have it. I have been reading about the necessity of formatting a drive over 250GB with 32K clusters. I have now done so and am in the process of reloading. I'll post back what effect this had.

15. Hueydude

Hueydude Member

Conspiracy theory proven!!! The hard disk HAS to be formatted at 32k clusters if it's over 250MB.(or partitioned into F and G) After I reformatted it, it's working like a champ with over 140 games on it.

16. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Where did you set the clusters from?

If you write a decent tutorial on this I will be glad to add it to the Troubleshooter!

;)

17. varnull

varnull Guest

That's strange.. I normally install 300 gig drives with 290 odd on F: with no problems whatsoever. Must be something to do with either the 1.6 kernal or the bios.

I think it's one for GameDoc or Reinhart.. I haven't come across it since the xecuter3 came out.

Also interested to know how you set the cluster size.. I use linux if I need to change drive parameters.

18. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The issue isn't that it can't see the size, but whether you can use the amount it shows!

He has excess of 128 games, therefore 128+ folders and it's freaking out!