1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maximizing performance for little or no money... on my laptop.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hayden58, Feb 10, 2007.

1. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

heres what i have a dell inspiron 6000 1.3Ghz celeron M, 40gb HD (160 External HD), 256mb or RAM, DVD-ROM, CDRW, (Lite-ON External DVD burner.)

What can i do to increase performance on this? are there things i can do? i was thinking a RAM upgrade looks most needed, but how do i know what one is compatible with my sytem? also, is there anything non hardware, that i can do to make this as fast as possible?

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If it does all that you want it to do now, don't spend good money on a bad investment, because that is what you would be doing.

Save your money to get a better computer. You can get something that is far better than what you have, for $500.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  3. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

also. this is a laptop, not a desktop. and its only about a year old, so i aint giving up on it just yet. i dont need a supercomputer, im just wondering what i could to to get the most out of it for little or no money.

EDIT:

example, i found on ebay a 256 RAM chip from dell.....now the first question is this, is there a spot on the dell inspiron 6000 to put 2 256chips side by side? that would give me 512, and wouldnt be too bad. expecially for $14 bucks. worth it? or not even doable anyway? also, how hard is it to install RAM on a laptop? i have never opened up a laptop b4, my experiences with computers (all desktops) is replacing 4-6 CD/dvd drives, 1 Hard drive, one motherboard, and a few soundcards etc. do you think i could handle it?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007