1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maximum file size for burning to a Blu Ray disk (single sided!)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray' started by Dudeness1, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Dudeness1

Dudeness1 Member

Hi All,

I would like to know the maximum file size for burning to a Blu Ray disk (single sided) whilst using Nero. For example is it 22.15 Gigabytes, or something similar - my guess is purely arbitrary.

Of course there is an indicator in Nero itself, but when I will be using my computer for over a day to create the file in the first place I would rather know where to "aim", rather than completing the process and then saying "Oops, just a little too big!".

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

David

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

http://www.dvd-and-media.com/bluray-dvd.htm

A 25GB blank Blu-ray disc can store 5 times more data than a standard DVD on the same size blu-ray BD-R disc. When using Blu-ray it is vital to choose a reliable BD-R disc with a protective coating to prevent data loss and playback issues. The high definition ability of Bluray far outstrips standard DVD-R. How long will it take to record a full 25GB Blu-ray BD-R media disc? It will take you approximately 45 minutes to record a 25GB Blu-ray disc at 2x, this is similar to recording 5 DVD-R discs at 8x, one after the other, however many of the latest blu-ray burners burn at 8x drastically reducing the recording time. For the professional finish we supply genuine Amaray Blu-ray cases.

How much data can a 25GB recordable Blu-ray BD-R disc actually hold? The disc manufacturers' definition of GB is 1,000,000,000 bytes (SI) but most computer operating systems including Windows use the 1,073,741,824 byte definition so the actual capacity available to the operating system will be 23.3GB.

3. Dudeness1

Dudeness1 Member

Thank you very much for your response.

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Your welcome.