1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe a Bricked Xbox?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by weedop, Mar 10, 2009.

1. weedop

weedop Member

Ok my xbox a couple of months ago died after I softmodded it. First I couldn't access anything just went to a black screen after the xbox logo started up.... So the other night I was reading on how to Hotswap and all that crazy stuff. So i packed up my xbox and took it to my parents house knowing that they had a older computer and i have sata. While i was there my little brother came to me and wanted me to also hotswap his since his dvd drive wasnt working. So i download all the components Xboxhdm, Ndure, Ftpsomething, and begin to hotswap well i get mine and takes me about 2 hours to finally want to read it (Probably my fault) gets to the xbrowser thing (takes like 10 min each time i must add) and i go to the Ndure folder and go to *ndure click on it and says installing 1 out of 2 then really quickly goes to 2 out of 3 well i read that this can take awhile so i go watch tv coming back every 20 minutes to see if its done. well about 2 hours later im thinkin thats its not going to work and dads pisse that ive been using there computer for over 5 hours now with the guts hangin everywhere... So i shut off the computer in the middle of the install try to start up xbox and goes straight to the #12 error do you guys know how to fix this Ive read everywhere about Xboxhdm and it still doesnt work and i dont have the money to do the other softmods. Does anyone have any good suggestion thank you in advance for Responses.

2. MMulligan

MMulligan Member

Well it says here that error code 12 has to do with DVD parameters. Which means you either have a bad dvd drive or a bad ide cable. I would try the ide cable first. Because its cheaper

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  3. weedop

weedop Member

I have the ide cable out of the Dvd drive because I am trying to Hotswap it

4. MMulligan

MMulligan Member

your trying to hot swap the dvd drive? do you mean the hard drive?

5. weedop

weedop Member

Lol Yes, I'm Sorry. Im trying To Hotswap the Hard drive and it says in the Instructions that error 11-like 17 are suppose to happen.

6. MMulligan

MMulligan Member

Hmm... thats weird, I used these instructions. I did it on 3 xbox's and didn't get an error code but one xbox i did boot up to black (luckily i had the EEPROM to save it tho). Do you have a back up of the EEPROM?

7. weedop

weedop Member

No i didnt even know what the eeprom was even after reading a couple of the Tuts i didnt know where/how to find it.

8. MMulligan

MMulligan Member

Well the eeprom is what locks the xbox hard drive to its xbox and if you dont have it you cant lock or unlock the hard drive. With the way a hot swap works you dont need your eeprom, the xbox unlocks the hard drive for you. Then the hard drive manager adds the soft modded file to the hard drive and when its done i think it is supposed to lock the hard drive it did for me and my xbox works. there is ways to extract the eeprom with out your xbox working but they are very complicated. I dont know what to say. Did you have the hard drive connected when you boot up the xbox?

9. weedop

weedop Member

Yes. I think it may have just deleted the MS dash files so I've got the Tut to do it but i also was trying to Do the ndure without having Ms dash on my xbox so maybe that was my problem

10. MMulligan

MMulligan Member

I dont have an ms dash on my xbox. But i also tried a hot swap on an xbox and it didn't work right. So i had to restore the ms dash, so i would give that a try.