1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe a stupid question but i`ll ask all the same.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by midjam, Jan 17, 2007.

1. midjam

midjam Member

Ok my home dvd player will only play DVD-R is there a way to burn a DVD-RW so as to fool the dvd player into thinking its a DVD-R ?

Thx

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

There are two issues with rewritable media: 1) having the correct file format and 2) having sufficient reflectivity. Almost all DVD players that play DVD-R will recognize the DVD-RW file format because it complies with the DVD Forum rules. (The exceptions may be some early Panasonic players that might restrict DVD-RW playback because Panasonic interpreted that disc as an encroacher on its early "right" to be the only rewritable format with DVD-RAM.)

The bigger problem may be the lower reflectivity of the rewritable discs that can confuse some players into thinking the lower reflectivity is due to the second layer of a double-layer disc. That may cause your DVD player to attempt to refocus into the inner layer and mess up. The only way to know is to try.

3. onya

onya Guest

midjam,
    Got that, We have one of those "older" NON-MULTI FORMAT types also.

This bit I didn't get..sorry. Your player WILL play DVD-R with no probs, but you want to burn a -R formatted RE-WRITABLE DVD disc, to fool the player that it's a DVD-R? Firstly, RE-Writing a DVD causes the drives optics etc, to work considerably harder...Therefore shortening it's life span.. Secondly, did you perhaps place a "-" symbol when it may have needed a "+" symbol?

Cheers.

4. midjam

midjam Member

Wow straight over my head.

I was just hoping that there would be some sort of setting i could tweak to make the dvd-rw into a dvd-r and no the dvd-rw has never been writen on.

I have tryed with my home player and they only will play the
    sony dvd-r and not the sony dvd-rw.

5. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

the short answer, is no. the DVD-r and Dvd-rw have different make ups. the dvd0-rw obviously can be rewritten, but this feature makes the dvd harder to read for dvd players. so no, there is no way to burn it differently to change it to a dvd-r.

6. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

You can record a DVD-RW so that its directory looks identical to that of a DVD-R disc. The problem is the reflectivity: its surface bounces back less than half the light from a reading laser. Older DVD players have trouble reacting to that light and sometimes think its from the second layer of a double-layer DVD. It sounds as though that is the problem your home DVD player is having.