1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe an odd question about 4:3 DVDs/BDs on widescreen TVs

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by briansolo, Jan 21, 2010.

1. briansolo

briansolo Member

Recently I got excited to buy the Wizard of Oz box set remastered DVD set. I have not yet converted to BD because I still live @ home and want to wait until after I move out to upgrade. Anyway, I know that this film, as well as all films this old, were filmed in a 4:3 aspect ratio, and the back of the box read, "formatted to keep its original presentation," or something similar.

I thought that the movie would be displayed in its 4:3 AR on my widescreen TV, played through an upconverting DVD player connected via HDMI. However, I was wrong.

I know that widescreen TVs are aspect ratio 1.85:1.

My question: why can these old movies not be presented with black side bars built into the picture? in such a way that a movie that with aspect ratio ~2.35:1 is naturally presented with the slim, black bars on top and bottom? I don't like the way the 4:3 aspect ratio is stretched across the screen.

I've messed with the TVs zoom settings, as well as the DVD player's display settings and nothing changes. I just want to watch my classic films as they were intended, without them being stretched. Any help out there?

TV: Panasonic 50" 720p VIERA 600Hz(?)
    DVD player: Philips upconverting (via HDMI)

2. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

That's really odd. I have never had this problem.

I would guess it is a setting in the DVD player as the TV usually has limited aspect setting when receiving a HDMI signal.

I would suggest going through every settting with a fine tooth comb and make sure you have exhausted all options. Failing that maybe test out another DVD player on the same TV.

3. attar

attar Senior member

I think that's a cinema standard - my WS set is 16:9, but using the same set-up as yourself, my 4:3 video is full height with bars on the sides.
    It can be stretched if the 'Picture Size' is changed using the remote.
    You must have a setting wrong either in the DVD player or the TV.

4. briansolo

briansolo Member

I appreciate the suggestions, but I HAVE exhausted the view settings...on the TV remote, the choices are:

zoom: literally just zooms in on the original signal picture

full: fills the screen. keeps the HDTV in is original aspect ratio, stretches SD television

just: fills the screen, but attempts to keep the data in the middle of the screen in its original aspect ratio, while stretching the sides

4:3: you would think this is the setting to use while watching a movie presented in 4:3, such as Wizard of Oz, or if you'd prefer not to have your SD picture distorted. This forces black bars on the sides of the screen, squeezing the picture for SDTV signals., which is great. I don't like my 4:3 stretched.
    HOWEVER, it only slaps the black side bars OVER the sides of the HDTV (I don't use it for HDTV anyway) sig and OVER the DVD picture, as well. It's really frustrating that it wont squeeze the DVD picture to where it belongs.

I'll try to take some pics of what I'm talking about. Maybe I'll use the X-Files to demonstrate =)

5. briansolo

briansolo Member

FULL: (keep in mind that this is a 4:3 DVD, therefore this is stretched)

[​IMG]

4:3: see how the black bars have been placed OVER the sides of the title screen?

[​IMG]

6. briansolo

briansolo Member

WELL WELL WELL I feel stupid.

I thought I had exhausted all the settings on the TV and DVD player, but there was something in the DVD menu listed as HDMI setup. I had never looked at it before because I thought, surely, this has nothing to do with it. I was wrong.

It is within this menu that an option for "Widescreen Format" lied. It had been selected as "off," but there's a selection called "4:3 Pillar Box." That did the trick!

[​IMG]

Thanks, everyone, for reminding me that I need to be more thorough sometimes ;)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  7. attar

attar Senior member

DVP5990? looks like my setup.

8. briansolo

briansolo Member

Yep! I think it's pretty dog-gone great with a FANTASTIC TV (I've had no problems), with a great picture, for $900 & this smart, upconverting DVD player. I like it a lot =)

9. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

I thought it would be the DVD player as my first suggestion mentioned...

I sell Audio Visual Electrical for a living so troubleshooting is quite common with customers. :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010