1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

maybe someone can help me

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wikky1, Feb 27, 2005.

1. wikky1

wikky1 Member

Alright. I've got my project ready to be burned, but I'm having a burner problem I think. I've been trying to fix this for the past couple months. Here is everything:

Computer type: DELL Optiplex GX270

Burner type: External TDK 440n INDI DVD+/-R burner

I hooked up the jumpers in the back correctly. It should burn DVD's fine but I get an "Illegal disc error" at 14 or 15%. Also, when I run NeroInfo Tool, it says that the DMA on the burner is OFF. I don't know if that matters but I thought I read somewhere on this site that it did. Can anyone help me with this problem?

2. hursty

hursty Active member

turn DMA on(device manager),also check your aspi layers while your at it.are they up to date?

3. wikky1

wikky1 Member

turning on the DMA's is not an option. it says for:
    Secondary IDE Channel
    device 0 (dvd-rom) - Ultra DMA Mode 2
    device 1 (dvd-burner) - PIO Mode

IT won't let me change it to DMA mode for the burner. It says "DMA if available" for Transfer Mode, yet the Current Transfer Mode is "PIO Mode." Is there anyway to change this?

Also, I ran NeroInfo tool and it says that my System ASPI is not installed. How do I install this if it's necesarry? Please help.

4. hursty

hursty Active member

5. Ray5264

Ray5264 Member

go into device manager and uninstall the IDE controller the drive is on...when you reboot DMA will be reset

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  6. wikky1

wikky1 Member

i uninstalled the secondary IDE channel and restarted my computer and now both my dvd-rom and dvd-burner are set to PIO Mode. It will not set to DMA for either. Any suggestions?

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

What shows in Device manager when you have it unplugged and then, what shows when you plug in your external Burner under Seconday IDE channel and also under CD/DVD drives?

One other thing:
    What jumpers are we talking about?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  8. wikky1

wikky1 Member

Under DVD/CD-ROM Drives:
    SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T
    TDKDVDRW0404N

ANSWER TO JUMPER QUESTIONS: my computer did not come with the dvd-burner. I had to unplug my cd-burner drive from the IDE channel cable and replace it with the dvd-burner. The jumpers are the tiny plastic pieces that u put on the back of your drives so that your computer knows whether the system is either:

1. a CABLE SELECT SYSTEM - JUMPERS ARE BOTH SET TO CABLE SELECT FOR EACH DRIVE (which is how mine is hooked up now)

OR

2. a MASTER AND SLAVE SYSTEM - ONE DRIVE JUMPER IS SET FOR MASTER; ONE DRIVE JUMPER IS SET FOR SLAVE

I ran NeroInfo Tool and even though mine dvd-rom and dvd-burner are both on CABLE SELECT, it says that the dvd-rom is set to MASTER, and the dvd-burner set to SLAVE. What is going on?

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You need to put the DVD burner as master. This means set the jumpers on the back to master and make sure it is on the very end of the IDE cable. Then put your DVD Rom as Slave and make sure it is on the middle of the cable. That should solve your problems. Once you have that set up correctly follow these instructions and do every step even if your drives now read DMA..

Let us know how everything turns out :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Is this an External burner or is it positioned in your case? What you just stated on C/S means that they are both internal.

Please let me know this first before we go any further on this.

11. wikky1

wikky1 Member

it is now positioned in my case.

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

OK, Good.

Follow what bbmayo said at the top of his post on setting up your burner and DVD-Rom drive. Also, does your secondary IDE cable have a blue, grey and black plugs or are they all the same color?

If they are or if you have another 80 pin cable, blue, grey and black plugs, then use that one. Blue to MB, Grey to slave, and black to Master or burner. If your cable is all the same color plugs, just make sure that the longest end is connected to the MB, and the closest two plugs together do not have any writing on them for master and slave. If they do, then setup accordingly. Finally, also do exactly what it shows under bbmayo’s post to reset you DMA settings for your burner and DVD-Rom drive.

13. wikky1

wikky1 Member

alright. i did what bbmayo said. only one thing. THE DMA IS NOW OFF FOR THE DVD-ROM. ALL OTHER DMA'S ARE ON. it seems like each time i try to get all the DMA's to work, the one set to SLAVE is never ON. What should i do?

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK I have another way to try... try this..

[bold]CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives can revert to using PIO mode, despite being set to use "DMA if Available." Here's how to make Windows XP redetect the DMA capabilities of the drives.
    This behaviour occurs with the following conditions:[/bold]

-Windows XP is the operating system
    -A CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, which is known to support DMA mode now works only in PIO mode.
    -The drive controller is set to use "DMA if available" but reports to be only in PIO mode.

Following is the mechanism that has worked for me, please try it at your own risk, it involves hacking the registry:

1. Open RegEdit
    2. Find the following KEY:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x
    3. The last four digits will be 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, and so on.
    4. Under each key, delete all occurences of the following values:
    MasterIdDataChecksum
    SlaveIdDataChecksum
    5. Reboot the computer. Windows will now redetect DMA settings.

If that still doesnt work the you may need to update the drivers to your motherboard..
    Let me know :) You should also check that your Bios is set up correctly..

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

wikky1

If it happens that which ever device that is the slave defaults to PIO instead of DMA, then it's caused by errors and that is possible coming from your IDE cable. For the time being, since the problem was with your burner and it's now set to DMA, give it a go/test as see how it does. It it's fine, then on to the next thing which I would first suggest to be, exchange out the IDE cable.

16. wikky1

wikky1 Member

BBMAYO, i did what you said and still no luck. the SLAVE dvd-rom is still in PIO Mode. Hey, do all the drives have to have DMA's on or what? Does it matter if my dvd-rom is in PIO Mode?

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Did you check in your CMOS (Bios) to see that they are set correctly.

No they don't have to be in fact some drives only work in PIO mode (older ones). You can give it a try, but my guess would be that your DVD ROM wont rip a movie very fast.

18. hursty

hursty Active member

i have had conflicting views on this
    i thought it makes no difference
    master/slave?

my dvd-rom is set to master,with the dvd burner set to slave,works fine
    what difference does it make?
    with regards hursty

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  19. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

hursty

Some manufacturers still recommend that their burner be set to master, even though today, with DMA instead of PIO and also with chipsets allowing independent timing of whatever is on the IDE ribbon cable, it really doesn’t matter. It just used to be the rule of thumb. Old habits die hard that’s all.

In this case, since wikky1 stated he was having problems with his slave drive on the secondary IDE, always showing in PIO mode, I felt that he should mount his Burner as the master and test from there first. So when or if everything burned well, then go to step two to fix his PIO issue, which so far, has not been able to be corrected by just removing the Secondary Channel and allowing Windows to re-install it as DMA.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I will try explain the difference between "master" and "slave"
    Despite the hierarchical-sounding names of "master" and "slave", the

master drive does not have any special status compared to the slave one;

they are really equals in most respects. The slave drive doesn't rely on

the master drive for its operation or anything like that, despite the

names (which are poorly-chosen--in the standards the master is usually

just "drive 0" and the slave "drive 1"). The only practical difference

between master and slave is that the PC considers the master "first" and

the slave "second" in general terms. For example, DOS/Windows will

assign drive letters to the master drive before the slave drive. If you

have a master and slave on the primary IDE channel and each has only one

regular, primary partition, the master will be "C:" and the slave "D:".

This means that the master drive (on the primary channel) is the one

that is booted, and not the slave.
    So you see there really isn't any difference, but us computer geeks have just been so used to the old way of doing thing's that the process of hooking up drives is kind of a habit. With the newer DMA/Ultra DMA out you are supposed to hook the master drive up to the end of the cable (black end) and the slave in the middle (gray end) where on the older PIo mode drives you would put the master on the middle and the slave on the end.
    Another note; If you are using DMA mode you really need to be using an 80 wire IDE cable (should have Blue, Gray, & Black connector) This is the standard for DMA so if you are using the older 40 wire cable this could be your problem also.
    OK I'm starting to babble now (tired) Anyway the only reason I told wikky1 to set up the PC the way I did was so it was at least hooked up right. Wikky1 could have reversed the drives, and it wouldn't matter. What did matter was the cable select settings that wikky was trying to use. To use cable select you need a special cable, and these are of course non-standard, making them a special purchase. Also, many people don't understand cable select, nor do they realize it needs a special cable. If you set both drives to "CS" and then use them on a regular (non-cable-select) IDE cable, both drives will configure themselves as "master", causing a configuration conflict.