1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

maybe someone can help me

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wikky1, Feb 27, 2005.

1. icevenom

icevenom Member

it was, i moved it to primary untill i can get the secondary to work at the moment it is uninstalled cuz the drivers wont install
    still gives me "problem isntalling your device"[second IDE] if i do it manually says "these drivers arent for your platform" and wont install

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  2. kevblack

kevblack Guest

ok thx for the input will try funny that i did 6 or 7 when i first got it but will try new one and not cheap one thx again

3. icevenom

icevenom Member

arg, i just tried burning a DVD and i got an error, first coaster...using DVD shrink..which used NERO to make the actual cd aaaaaargggg

i really need to fix this burning!

how will i switch DMA and activate second ide

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try this it involves hacking the registry, but it has been know to work,

[bold]CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives can revert to using PIO mode, despite being set to use "DMA if Available." Here's how to make Windows XP redetect the DMA capabilities of the drives.[/bold]

This behaviour occurs with the following conditions:

-Windows XP is the operating system (should be same for 2K)
    -A CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, which is known to support DMA mode now works only in PIO mode.
    -The drive controller is set to use "DMA if available" but reports to be only in PIO mode.

Following is the mechanism that has worked for me, please try it at your own risk, it involves hacking the registry:

1. Open RegEdit
    2. Find the following KEY:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x
    3. The last four digits will be 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, and so on.
    4. Under each key, delete all occurences of the following values:
    MasterIdDataChecksum
    SlaveIdDataChecksum
    5. Reboot the computer. Windows will now redetect DMA settings.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

wikky1
    If you have everything working and you have the fixed master/slave jumpers set on the optical drives, don't worry about it. However, from the factory, Dell has their systems set up computer select. So, the determination of master and slave depends on where the drive is located on the cable. Master at the end and slave in the middle.

icevenom
    In control Panel with the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers expanded, the Secondary IDE Channel Properties window should be opened. Under the General tab, what does it say about Device status and Device usage? What happened or what did you find when you used the Troubleshoot option? The DMA settings are important, but if the PC doesn't recognize the IDE channel, then it doesn't matter. Hopefully BB's hack will get the channel recognized.

As a side note on resetting DMA, I've found that one can sometimes uninstall the optical drive under DVD/CD-ROM drives in Device Manager and the DMA will reset when the PC is rebooted and the drive is recognized. I now try that before uninstalling the IDE channel. Also, the command is uninstall, not disable (just in case anyone has a question there).

6. wikky1

wikky1 Member

brobear,

As of right now, my burner is master and my dvd-rom is slave. I have successfully burned with DVD+R's (Imation, Memorex) but am yet to burn any DVD-R's (TDK). The burn process has failed on the TDK DVD-R's. My burner is supposed to be able to burn both, so I really don't understand what the problem is and why it won't just burn on TDK brand discs.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Still sounds like a firmware issue to me....

8. icevenom

icevenom Member

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

ill try the reg hack if that will help get the channel back, then i can sort out DMA crap...
    isnt that hack just for redetecting DMA?

now for some reason my ATA controller is missing its driver i just installed sp1, meybe after restart itll be back, ill post report

9. wikky1

wikky1 Member

BBMAYO,

1. How can I solve the "firmware" issue?
    2. Maybe you can check for me or show me how to check the latest firmware version. I know for a fact that there is a label on my DVD that says 1.0c for my Indi TDK 440n burner. Is this the latest version or is there a way to check for a later version?

10. brobear

brobear Guest

wikky1
    http://www.tdk.com/support/dvdburners/indidvd4xmultisup.html
    TDK support is listing 1.0C as the latest firmware upgrade. I have to go with BB though, it still sounds like a firmware problem. Since it doesn't hurt to flash the drive with the same firmware, I'd do it again manually; just in case someone put a sticker on and the drive doesn't actually have the firmware loaded correctly for some reason. All the instructions for the flash and the download can be found at the link above. If it isn't something to do with the firmware, I'd start to suspect a flaw in the burner.

Since it won't burn the TDK brand -R media, have you tried any other brands of -R? Buy a small pack of Verbatim or Sony and give them a try, most shops carry those. It won't be a waste, you'll be able to use them when you get your problem solved. This little test is just to see if it's a particular disc the drive doesn't like.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2005
  11. brobear

brobear Guest

icevenom

Since you are having Windows problems, it might just be an idea to go ahead and load a fresh install of XP. You'll get your drivers back. It may save time over doing all the hunting and fixes and still having to do it. I'm not saying to format the drive, just reload XP. Me, I believe in overkill... sometimes. On occasion I've been known to reformat the drive and start with a clean HD.

I'm curious about this problem. Have you had any virus or adware problems lately? How often do you run the anti virus and adware programs to cleanup? How often do you defrag the drive(s)? Just wondering what would have caused Windows to become so corrupted that you'd loose your drivers.

12. child05

child05 Guest

i can download a movie and tranfer it to a dvd but, it will only play back on my pc and not my home dvd player i use sonic record now program can someone please help me with this

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@child05,
    If you downloaded the movie it needs to be converted to DVD compliant format so you can play it on any stand alone DVD player...

See the link in my signatue? Click on that and use the guide there called "Convert AVI to DVD" and you will be well on your way ;-)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  14. child05

child05 Guest

bbmayo, thanks alot but now can you help with -i have a movie in my shared foler from which i downloaded could you tell me how to get it to dvd decrypter

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What type of file are we talking about here?

16. child05

child05 Guest

a movie that i download it is in my shared folder and i can't bring it to the decrypter and at the bottom of the dvd decrypter it say device not ready and (medium not present)

17. hursty

hursty Active member

@child 05

you cannot just download a movie from the net and expect to burn it straight the way
    it all depends on what type of files they are

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

yes I thought I made that pretty clear in a previous post, but just incase you missed that
    Follow the guide!! When you are using DivXtoDVD just browse to the folder you downloaded the movie to..

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  19. child05

child05 Guest

hursty, well could you please me how to make a file and why is the message on the bottom of the dvd decrypter (device not ready ) mean your will gratful

20. hursty

hursty Active member

@child

its not possible for me to give you the help you need,
    without more info

i dont have a clue what you are trying to do,

as bbmayo clearly pointed out,you need to tell us what type of files they are

have a look in the folder