1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

maybe someone can help me

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wikky1, Feb 27, 2005.

1. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Yea, my doctor said the same thing about a colonoscopy. But when he dimmed the lights, lit the candles and put on some Barry White Music I hit the door!!!

Or

How many times do you think I’ve done this, hence the “ain’t gonna happen,” routine! :)

We’ve all done it at one point or another but I think you both would agree in that old cliche;

[bold]It’s better to give then to receive, or in computer terms, it’s better telling someone to format then to do it ourselves.[/bold] <G>

BroBear, anyone that has ever read any of your posts knows better. Trust me when I say that I for one would never ever want to get into a battle of wits with you!!

[bold]I would have to be Cuckoo, so I Nest my case![/bold] <G>

Again, thanks gentlemen!

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Watch out for the Barry White... LOL

I'm only a few months into my last format. So, I do it myself on occasion. I think of formatting as the last resort. But, I don't fight it when it's necessary. When the files get corrupted or damaged for whatever reason, it's easier (sometimes) to format and reload the OS than to try doing a lot of individual fixes. Also, when assessing the situation, it is sometimes only necessary to reload the OS. As long as things are going okay, I don't like to tamper with the OS very much. There are a few perks for starting with a fresh format. ;)

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Hey Brobear!! some one actually does read your long arse posts!!! WOW I am impressed LMAO :) :)

4. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL
    BB... I use them to frighten the illiterate. I've been told by some they are entertaining and by others they're informative, and both by others. Then of course we have my fan club that says I'm just a windy a**hole.

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I tried to write a long winded post once... just once!

By the time I thought of everything I wanted or needed to say, and then correctly typed it in the order that it needed to be written in, then processed it by spell checker, the thread was closed! <g>

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah I know exactly what you mean Scuba, It would take me like 2 hours though to type the responses the big guy does ;-)

By the way did wikky1 ever get his/her problem solved.. We kind of jacked the thread hu?? Not cool :) LOL

7. brobear

brobear Guest

BBmayo,
    wikky1 said he would try flashing the firmware just in case and try some different media to make sure it wasn't just a problem with a particular media. Supposed to report back, but hasn't yet. I don't believe we were being too rude by helping others while waiting for the reply.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2005
  8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Maybe wikky1 broke the puter :-(

9. icevenom

icevenom Member

whats the actual app called for this?
    once i format in april and get my system running perfect i should make a nice DVD image of my system :D
    be alot easier then formatting at times

i tried formatting my friends computer lastnight
    problem was for some reason in the windows format/reinstall menu for fresh copy it wouldnt let us agree to the end user licence, never seen such a weird bug before, says press f8 to agree esc to disagree and exit. we tried 2 xp cds she had, and 2 of mine, no dice! odd i must say! never ever seen it in the 10 years that ive formatted computers lol
    i ended up just running a fresh copy install from windows which help with her problem [lots of lag, spyware blah blah..no idea what was going on with her system anymore so she wanted a clean copy] but her system still has all the software installed..[not activated since the registrees got toasted] i might try a dos boot format c ..but in that case doubt it work since we cant run windows install from the cd boot :S

wow by now we are a tad offtopic i know :\, if theres a thread we/i can continue this conversation ill be happy to re-ask

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Easy fix;

Boot the PC with a Win98 or 95 CD and select DOS go into fdisks and delete everything. Then create a new partition.. :) Now you can load WinXP..

I'm not at home and don't have Nero here at work so I cant remember off the top of my head the name for backing up HD with Nero, but I will post when I get home.. I believe though when you open Start Smart you have to make sure your in advanced mode or you wont see it, and its under backup!

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

bbmayo, I'll be your eyes since you're at work.

Its under DVD, then an option called: Copy and Backup.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  12. icevenom

icevenom Member

awesome, thanks

btw: for those interested, my Second IDE just disabled itself again...windows is being a bum, i cant wait to format in april, i was trying to burn an ISO i made in alchohal when i noticed burner wasnt showing lol...check device manager, ide is disabled...damn u windows..! all i did was reenable..it isntalled sony again with dma on, so no harm done, but such a hassle if its gonna do it every few days eh? lol

so tempted to backup HD to test that function, how does it work anyway copies whole image of the HDD in compressed form? including windows registrees etc? i assume yes, just curious...that would be so conveient to "reset" my computer when i dont have time to format or just dont want the hassle of a reinstall of all my progs.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Scubabud nice, but one thing switch it to advanced mode then put the picture back up there :) your missing something.. :)

Yes it backs up the whole system!!! Just insert your backed up disk reboot from DVD/CD drive and it formats and installs everything. I like this a lot because I don't have to Load drivers, software and set up internet connections and email all over just load the disk and presto!!! Back up and running in no time. My backup usually takes 2 DVD disks though so you do have to switch disks once.. :)

14. icevenom

icevenom Member

2 disks eh?
    i assume thats based on your HD size in part
    what do u have?
    im running 80gb...not all is full 2, dunno if that will effect it, i have meybe 30gb used at one time averagely

anyone have format problems like i listed above before? with the end user agreement? i should search on microsoft, i didnt get a chance yet since i discovered it lastnight

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Icevenom

I use a program called Drive Image 7.0 and it does a complete backup of my HDD ever morning at 2:00, daily. That means if I go crazy and load every program I can get my hands on, and allow every active x program rights to my PC, and if I get the worst virus attack ever, then all I do is reboot with the startup CD, and select any of the backups on my second HDD, and in less then 15 minutes, I am back to where I was at 2:00am that morning including all emails, documents and downloaded programs and files, etc..

Here are a couple screen shots:

Drive Image 1 Basic View
    [​IMG]

Drive Image Advanced View This was taken back in Feb 05. See backup files below.
    [​IMG]

Drive Image backup files on my secondary drive F:
    [​IMG]

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

This is the advanced view of Nero.

[​IMG]

17. icevenom

icevenom Member

pretty neat, dont all those backups ad up eventually :p takes about 10 gigs each time :p
    my HDD doesnt change that much
    its mostly a set bunch of adobe software and files i create with them :p
    im probably gonna setup a sort of format HD restore disk witht he initial setup once i format with my software loaded, then just burn files i make seperatly on disks, or made a bi weekly or a montly HD copy

but im way behind int he times as far as HD back ups it seems :p

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

There you go now it's there scubabud..

I have Image drive also, I just like to Completely have everything freshly installed the whole reason in the first place would be to get rid of any of the files that have caused the problem (ie. documents, emails ect) So I just save all that stuff on my second hard drive anyway (no need to back it up) all thats on my C:\ drive is OS, and proggys. Nero's drive back up also has same function as image drive anyway..

My HD's are both 250GB.. So it doesn't matter about the size of the drive, but the amount of stuff on it. I just set up my system with all the proggys and run it for about a week to make sure all is good and then back it up. Then I usually load that back up again 6 months later update everything and make another backup to keep for later. Its easy and then I know for sure my drive is clean and running good again.. :)

19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@icevenom

I told you how to load the XP a couple posts up. I guess you missed it

20. icevenom

icevenom Member

my bad ya you did,
    even if its a clear formatted HD, wonder if her compter will still get that agreement error where it wont go past the agree screen :S
    im just gonna resaerch the error a bit id rather not mess up her computer lol

or meybe i missunderstood soemthing :S